swapping in a 304 instead of a 360? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: swapping in a 304 instead of a 360?

I think that you could wire yourself just as easy. I would try to find a wiring diagram of the donor vehicle. Take a couple of nights to study the diagrams and then go at it. What the hell, if you're wrong you go at it again. That way you know how to trouble shoot it yourself if something goes wrong in the backwoods. It's a Jeep.

'85 Cj7,360,TH400,D300,Pro-jection,D44's,M/T's 35's,8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:06 PM

Check out http://www.customefis.com for info on a GM EFI system on an AMC V-8. Their kit is about $800 for the TBI and $2000 for the MPI though...

The MC2100 carbs that are on them are really good carbs though. Definately not worth it to swap it out for the Weber.

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I can machine a new mounting plate for the Weber, would it still be a bad idea? I just got that thing! Anyways, I think that I'm gonna stay carbed for a while until I can find a donor TBI for the 360 so I dont have to spend an arm and a leg right away, rather keep my leg for now. Thanks for giving me that site address. I checked it out and the guy seems to know what he is talking about. I did a search on offroad.com and didn't find what I was looking for, that is, examples and instruction on doing the 258-360 swap. Maybe I worded that wrong...someone else that has done it and made a how-to site. Anyone got somethin like this? Thanks
Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Old Hand

That 32/36 is WAY too small for a 360 IMHO. I ran a 40/40 on a 4 cyl. BMW with half the displacement.

If you're going with the V8, at least step up to a small 4bbl. or the TBI. Why spend all that time swapping it in just to choke the thing up with too small a carb?

I just finished a TBI swap from a 4.3 Chevy to my 4.1 Buick. Its not that hard, but its not that easy either. You could use the whole TBI setup from a Chevy 350. That's close enough that it should work okay without reprogramming the PROM, etc. To get it to work right you need to use the O2 sensor, VSS, in-line hp fuel pump, etc. It will probably cost you around $500 unless you own your own junkyard. By the time I finished, the $700 Holley unit didn't look so bad. It was worth the effort, though.

'66 Jeepster Commando - 4.1L V6, TH400, 3.5" Alcans and 2" body lift
'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'75 Yamaha DT400B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode