What ires work well in hard and soft snow? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

What ires work well in hard and soft snow?

I'm looking for a tire that will do well in hard packed snow and also powder.I'm looking at sizes between 31" to 33",12.5" wide or wider.Thanks -Tom.

Tommy T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What ires work well in hard and soft snow?

BFG ATs

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got the new BFG MT KMs. If I ever get some snow up here I will let you know how they are.

97 TJ Daily Driver
4.0 5spd 32X11.5 BFG MT KMs with 2.5" of lift.
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:42 AM

Yokohama Geolandar if you want a mild snow tire they also have some more agressive ones to ... I've have Geolandars on my wifes Forester for 2 years they work great on snow and ice. I'm not sure what sizes they come in.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:29 PM

Aren't geolanders directional tires? Meaning you can't swap them side to side when rotating.

MTR's grab traction where there is no traction. Watching them in action during winter wheeling last year convinced me, now I run 35 12.50's. Stay away from an AT tire for snow; much like mud, there are times when you want the tire to clear itself out; AT's just slick up.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:25 PM

Note that skinny tires usually do better in snow than wide tires, as they can cut down through to solid earth. Of course, with wide tires you can treat the snow like mud and "float" over top of powder, but your control isn't too good.

That said, I'll second the BFG AT recommendation, in something along the lines of a 32x10.5. They're great for all weather, rain, snow, dry, and not bad offroad. I have 265r16's on my Ram and they grip like Rosie O'Donnell to a fudgesickle.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:57 PM

I'm runnin the 33/9.5 BFG AT's on my YJ.

If it's just a light covering on the road I hate to take the Jeep.

I normally put it in 4wd, and then it will get doing, but stopping is another problem all together.

In the mud and snow, you might as well have race slicks, the lugs get so full of crap they are useless.

My next set of tires will definately be some kind of Mudder.
Probably BFG, but I have yet to take a serious look.

As for wider Vs. narrow.
In some situation's there is noting to grip on once your through the soft stuff. I'm going to go with the 12.5's next time. The 9.5's are way too skinny, even aired down.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a set of BFG A/Ts 33x12.5 and a set of MT Baja claw 33x13.5. The Mickeys kick butt on snow over the BFGs. I have to be in 4wd with the BFGs to get the same performance as the Mickeys in 2wd.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've never had BFG A/T's on a SWB Jeep, but I've had them on ALL of my full size Dodges and I wouldn't buy any other tire for year round duty. I have never been left wanting for a more agressive tire in the snow, and we get snow up here! I put BFG Mud T/A's on my CJ 'cause it is mostly a summer toy, but the couple times I've had it out in the snow this year (nothing deep) they have performed very well also.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:53 AM

I drive about 1/2 the year on snow and ice. If you aren't running studs, the BFG ATs are a good choice. Myself, I prefer the Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grip, preferably with studs. Hakepletas (sp?) are a good choice, and on cars Goodyear has the Ultra Grip Ice tire in both studded and unstudded versions (my wife's plymouth breeze is running the studded version, and they are incredible!). I've run a large selection of tires on snow and ice, and I've found the workhorses to be the best overall compromise--they have decent clearing ablility for wet snow, are great in dry snow, and have good traction on ice--superior with studs. My current set are on their third winter. They were originally on my wife's fullsize bronco, but I kept them for my Ranger when we sold the bronco. They've worn like iron, and still are about 85% tread or better. Again, bear in mind, I live in Alaska, and these are the tires I run from freeze up to break up. In warmer climes where you aren't ALWAYS on snow and ice for 5-6months, I'd probably go with the BFG ATs as well, running MTs in the summer.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode