Newbie Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie Question

Any easy way to remove paint?... I'm getting sick of the old scratch pad. Please help my Tub needs to be lined

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:46 PM

Re: Newbie Question

acetone, laq thinner.

its bad smeels bad, burns your hands, fire hazard, but its better than sanding ( sometimes) '
'
a wire wheel on a grinder works well also

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:04 PM

Try Jasco's Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover. It comes in a gold can at most hardware stores and paint shops. It's NASTY stuff. One place I worked at, a customer dropped a can on the floor and about 1 tablespoon spilled. By the time I could get there with a towel (30 seconds from being spilled--I watched the customer drop it) it had eaten through the wax and most of the floor tile! We had to replace that tile due to the hole. Use chemical resistant gloves, goggles (not glasses) and a couple of paint brushes you'll never use again. First time I used it, I was stripping the paint off of a 17' Aluminum Smokercraft Canoe. It was interesting to watch the paint bubble up seconds after brushing the Jasco on. It is neutralized by water, with water cleanup. I'm getting ready to refinish that canoe again this year (hey, it's been 15 years since we painted it last, and it gets USED! I tell everyone the dents on the bottom are traction!), and I plan use Jasco's to strip the Imiron (sp?) I painted it with last time.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brake fluid is pretty strong on some finishes as well. Then there is always sand blasting.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:02 PM

knotted wire wheel on a grinder is the best mechanical way. Chemical, use aircraft paint stripper, available at most paint places, beats everything I've ever seen.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:56 PM

NEVER EVER USE BRAKE FLUID ON ANY SURFACE YOU WANT TO PAINT!
The chemical makeup of DOT 3 brake fluid is so fine that it can penetrate into the pours several different kinds of metal.
You will always have that 'Mystery Spot' that won't hold paint or primer for very long...
I had to replace the fender on a 69 SS Camaro because I dribbled DOT 3 on the unpreped fender, and 3 paint jobs later the paint and body guy finally asked me if I had ever spilled brake fluid on the fender while it was stripped....
("Duh... Well.... Yes, I did... How did you know?"... I said, with finger up nose...)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
<hr>

There are several chemical paint strippers.
'Zip Strip' is the only one I've had any experience with. Ate the tennis shoes right off my feet, along with large patches of skin off my hands and wrists.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
<hr>

3-M makes a green pad with little 'fingers' that goes in your drill that does a really good job. (hard on your thumb if you get it in the way...

Here is the beginning paint and body mans' best friend...
http://www.eastwoodtools.com/

Here are a couple of more great sites for specialty tools...
General tools http://www.tptools.com/ (lots of paint and body guy stuff here)
Specialty engine tools http://www.goodson.com
DON'T FORGET TO ORDER FREE CATALOGS WHILE YOU ARE ON THOSE SITES!
Lots of little stuff in the catalogs that is just too cool...

Enjoy.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:12 AM

I made quite a few post on this subject a while ago.
I found out the best methods are chemical stripper(get the mean stuff or/propane torch..This works awesome! or a good wire wheel.
A air powered sander is nice too, as you don't have to put much "work" into it.
A razor scraper with the first too is needed.
My favorite were the stripper and the torch.
They were very fast.
If you do use the stripper, make SURE you clean the surface very well after you use it.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 06:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOW GUYS thanks. it looks like I need to make a trip out to the local paint shop.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You say your tub needs to be lined. Are you doing a bed liner inside the tub? If so, you don't need to remove the paint, just scuff it up with the scrubby pad. Your just making it ruff so the liner can stick. Any spots that reach bare metal should be primed before you line anyhow.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs thanx to every Cheap trick on this board. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:12 AM

TR I've used that 3M green rubber "finger" pad on a air powered die grinder, and it works great! Stipped the paint around a couple small holes I was patching on my CJ5 quickly and easily without heating the metal up like a wire wheel will in a few seconds. Incidently, they were small holes and I patched them with JB weld.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode