who knows the history of 76-79 jeep heaters?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

who knows the history of 76-79 jeep heaters??

I picked up my tub on the 31st from a guy in knoxville TN. (St. Louis to Knoxville= 16 hours round trip)It was worth it though, what a tub!

Anyways, the heater was still in it, and it is much different from the one in my orginal 78. The tub is suposed to be a 76 CJ5, it does have a type B roll bar with the bolts in it for shoulder harness but i think this was added later. The heater in the tub is missing the blower fan but the fan should be in the middle of the unit. The heater has a small defroster attachment that connects to two central openings where the windshield frame sits.

In contrast the 78 heater has the blower fan on the far passenger side, and the heater core in the middle. It has quite a bit larger defroster duct.

Can someone shed some light as to what is going on and what i should do? Thanks- Tim

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:12 PM

Re: who knows the history of 76-79 jeep heaters??

The heater in the 78 and later CJ's is different. I would try to mount the newer style heater (78 and later) instead of that old one.
If you think you didn't work before wait until you feel the old one. The newer style allows for the Blazer blower motor upgrade as well.
I believe the units will interchange with a bit of work, and it'll be worth it.
If you're not familiar with the heater upgrade...you need to pick up a blower motor from a 74 full size blazer with AC. It's about
as bolt in as you can get. This will only work with the newer style heater units though.

Alec

there's no trophy for second place

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

yeah good call with the new one. I took both out today to see which one i am going to use, and the newer one is much better. I am going to have to do some major surgery to my fire wall though. All the holes for the motor and heater core do not line up. oh well... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:48 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well my 77 CJ5 heater SUCKED big time . I had to do several mods at the time to get it to keep me even somewhat warm . And the Jeep was only 5 or 6 years old.

My current 79 with stock fan and new heater core makes me sweat in a t-shirt in January .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:31 AM

I believe '77 was the changeover year from the old heater type to new. If you need any parts I have 2 sets of the old type. I went to the newer style as well and did the heater blower motor upgrade. Notice the wiring is also different as one is only 2 speed and the other is 3...

Lugnut 77 cj5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode