Any help... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any help...

Ok...thanks for all the welcomes, now for all the question . My new (well new to me)jeep is a '68 cj-5...225 v-6, has a sm420 4sp., 11in. brakes ,dana 27 front ,dana 18 tc, dana 44 rear, and I think 4.88 gears, 31 x 10.50 - 15 tires , also a one or two inch body lift...
What do you guys ,think I should start with first. I would like to start small first like ( maybe an overdrive or spring lift ) any help or Ideas >>>? Up-n-Over

PS. The jeep also has bucket seats out of ( something) And I need to replace them . I'm right at 6' tall and the seats are way to close.. I have to bend my foot in a bad angle to use the gass pedal. The trouble looks to be the the back part of the seat touches the fender well ie. seats to big for the jeep..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Any help...

Thats gonna depend where you want to end up! Street jeep, hard core or something in between? Try to decide what kind of jeep you want before you spend hard earned money twice or three times like so many of us have done. Most new jeepers start with bigger tires and more lift. Have fun with it and good luck. Keep us posted.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking for something, for family fun ,no hard core stuff right now. The biggest trouble right now is I live about an hours drive to 4x4 places. So taller tires or overdrive would help ? I like to play in the snow more than the rocks.... Hope that helps..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 07:46 PM

well if its not reliable id first make it reliable. Peace
ANdrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:20 PM
Addict

Got to protect yourself and family in that open vehicle so you can go out and have some fun. First thing is to be sure all seatbelts are sound and that you have some rollover protection in the form of a rollcage. Even if it's not tied to the frame at this point you need some thing over every bodies head, a front hoop and some form of rear cage if anybody is going to be riding in the back. Hopefully you never need it but it'll be the best mod you ever made if you ever go over.

Jeff

<font color=blue>Prepare for war, pray for peace.</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:28 PM

If you are starting out small i would replace anything that needs help and check and fix things like oil leaks, belts, hoses, the carb, brakes, bushings. Then if all that stuff works out you might want to do the over drive but i would go to the safety and pretection department. A full cage is important even for daily driving and "mild trails", you never know when your adrenlin will get flowing and you will decide to tackle that obstcle or some one else will hit you on the road. Then i would look into bumpers, skid plates (think $20 worth of steel is a lot cheeper than a new engine or tranny), steering box brace, make all these things your self, if you can't weld get a welder and start learning, you will save a lot of cash in the long run. Also get the basic wheeling essentials some where in between like hooks, cb, hi-lift, tow strap, fire extingusher, 1st aid kit, sovel, tools, spare parts. Then maybe look into power steering and brakes, a winch, locker(s) beefer axles, more lift (1-2" body lift is enough to clear 31's), bigger tires, engine performance. This is how i would do it, i'm trying to throw some ideas out there.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

upnover-

After the safety concerns are addressed (seat belts, roll bar, and the like) I would look into picking up an old Warn overdrive (if you can find one). Advanced Adapters now makes them new under the Satern name. This will give you better hwy RPM. Easy to install on the Spicer 18 x-case. As far as the cramped space, new seats may help but what you have is a "shorty" CJ and room just ain't plentiful. A friend of mine had a 71 CJ5 when it was new and today he can't even get behind the wheel of my 78 CJ5 and drive. (Damn that getting older.)

The only other thing to consider is that you can pour a bunch of money into a CJ that you will never recover if you want to sell it later. Decide what your ultimate use/desire is then make your choices based on that goal.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know space is the trouble, I had a ' 65 cj5 with factory seats, and the leg room was Ok, Has anyone found or used a narrow backed seat in a CJ-5 to help the leg room ?...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:54 PM
Nickmil

I had some from an early to mid 80's Celica in mine for a while (till they got in too bad of shape from weather), They worked great. I've also used Hyundai seats with good luck.
Other mods, Definitely Saginaw power steering, get rid of the stock Ross system if you still have it.Makes a huge difference in driveability (hence safety). Disc brakes in the front is nice. Definitely a roll cage. Decent suspension. Limited slip or locker in the rear minimum. Saturn or Warn Overdrive. Get a hold of Herm Tilford for one, I think his e-mail is [email protected] but not sure. Winch is a very good thing to have. You'll figure out more as you go, but concentrate on safety first. Good luck. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode