Anyone seen Mopar port fuel injection kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone seen Mopar port fuel injection kit

I did a search on this and was surprised not to find anything. maybe I did it wrong.

Anyone have any experience with this kit or seen it on any rigs? I have an 83' CJ with 258 that needs help (again) I am now on the second carb and the throttle plate is sticking in the bore and leaking vac through the shaft. Damn that piece of crap.

I was going to someday swap in a 5.0. but I have been thinking... I have already done so much for the 6 cyl. like the new 2" dia front driveshaft.

I am now thinking I may keep the 6. I figure with the fuel injection and maybe a header, might be pretty nice? Cost about the same as the 5.0 swap from what I can see. the kit with related parts would be about $2000 ? + easy smog legal. any other opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Anyone seen Mopar port fuel injection kit

I suggest you also look at the Howell TBI setup. It uses stock Chevy components and bolts on as a carb replacement. There are several people running them on the board. It is about half of the cost of the Mopar setup.

Later,

4WheelDriveWeb
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The main reason I am considering it, is that I can get a good deal on it. I think the basic kit is going to cost me around $1500. I have a connection a jeep dealer.

I just have never seen one installed or heard much about it... it looks great, but I wonder how "complete" it really is.

Oh, and I don't think the Howell kit is smog legal in CA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:46 PM

Mopar will sell you the kit then you will need to buy the crank harmonic balancer and have your head replaced or machined, if this is what I understand. This all after the cost of the kit.

<font color=blue>I am now thinking I may keep the 6. I figure with the fuel injection and maybe a header, might be pretty nice? Cost about the same as the 5.0 swap from what I can see. the kit with related parts would be about $2000 ? + easy smog legal. any other opinions?</font color=blue>

I would look into getting a late model low mileage 4.0 from a wrecking yard. we can pick these up for about $1800.00 to $2100.00 around here with the complete harness and computer system for a direct bolt in. This is an easy DIY operation.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 07:59 PM

I think my wife would kill me if I put a $2000 FI system on my $800 JEEP.

It seems the more economical approach is the topic here, but if you do the MOPAR system PLEASE do a write up for us.

1977 CJ-7
-o|||||o-
[]- -o-[]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 08:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The problem with the 4.0 swap is the CPS(crank position sensor). Unless you also get the tranny from the donor vehicle, you will have to modify your bellhousing or get a relocation kit for the CPS. The relocation kit and conversion wiring harness to put a 4.0 in a CJ will cost you close to $750. I did a lot of research when I had to replace my 4.2. I couldn't justify spending close to $2000 for the 4.0 swap. Others that have done the swap will agree, it is very hard to do for less than $1500. If you have a good engine then I would use one of the less expensive fuel injection options or get a Weber or Motorcraft 2100 carb.

Later,

4WheelDriveWeb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:00 PM

A guy in my club runs it on his 85 CJ, and swears by it. This is the route I'll go eventually. I think it would be better than the Howell TBI, by virtue of being multiport. I don't know what he did about the head; I have talked to him a little about the kit and he said it was complete, even including a new distributor. The harmonic balancer was extra; he did say installation was pretty straightforward. He also added that going with the mopar kit was one of the best decisions he made.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Official Historian

I think Howell does have a kit that is CARB approved.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:09 PM

Check out my Jeep site (below).
There you will find lots of MPI kit plus 4.0 head conversion tips.
IMHO, the only way to fly...
These setups run like a scaled dog and climb like a spider w/o so much as a cough standing on either end or even up sidedown.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:30 PM

I came acroos a 91 Xj 4.0 motor for a good deal and put it in my wife's 83 -7. Don't try to use the factory harness as I did, it was such a headache, I found out about HESCO (the company that makes the mopar kit from what I can tell), and they sold me the individual parts from the kit that I needed to make the install. Going with an XJ motor required a few additional things, for instance, the engine driven fan is offset and i had to replace the water pump with a YJ one to mount a fan to it. HESCO had a harmonic damper that replaces the stock one and allows you to mount the tdc sensor on the front (just like the mpfi kits for the 4.2) so no bellhousing mods were needed. Used the same belhousing, and the motor mounts off the 4.2 bolt to the 4.0 with tapping of only one hole. I could go on and on, just write if you want more info. Yes there were some headaches, but nothing a little common sense couldn't fix. It made a huge difference in driveability. The 4.2/carb ran surprisingly well, never really gave me any problems, but the FI is nearly impossible to stall. The first test run I put it in low,low and went up a steep hill and pushed on the brake and it still kept climbing, pushed harder till it started to stumble, let off and it smoothed right out and kept climbing. Also made a big difference on the highway, revs better with more power in the top end. This is with 3.31 gears and 32" tires. Will eventually go to 4.10's, can't imagine how much better it will do on the interstate. All in all an awesome deal, and money wise would not have been to bad if not for some mistakes I made (Custom Jeep out of Texas was supposed to make me a harness out of the original cj and xj harness, as well as some bellhousing mods, $800 late it didn't work and they never made good on it, live and learn I guess, if they are still in business AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE) It is especially nice since it is my wife's Jeep, the easy starts no matter how cold, smooth running, makes it easy for her to live with it.

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode