73 Jeep??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 04:13 PM
CRSETH

73 Jeep???

I found a jeep today it's been sitting at a credit union for about a year. The jeep is a 1973 with a metal hardtop it does not have any doors but the drivetrain looks alright the body is straight but the interior is in bad shape. It has a 3-speed and I guess a Dana rear.The serial no. is J3F83FTA46663 if anybody can tell anything by the serial no. I might buy it for the trans and rearend to goin my 83. Also I went to change the oil in my trans(T-5) and it had ATF in it I put 80-90 gear oil back in it was I right? I was trying to identify my carb and all I could see on it was CARBEX Fresno CA it look like a one barrel carb to me. I guess Carbex just rebuilt it some time ago. What would the 73 Jeep be worth?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 73 Jeep???

This vin info is from Jeepgod's web page.

J-- Make: Jeep (duh)
3-- Year: 1973
F-- Plant/Transmission/drive: Toledo, 3 speed, Left hand drive
83- Series: CJ-5
F-- (should be a 5?) if so, it means "Open Body"
T-- GVW: 3,750#
A-- Engine: 258 std.
46663-- Build sequence.

Consider the condition of the CJ-5. Does the body look solid...then look closer. If it still looks solid, the frame is good, and the Jeep is all stock with a crummy interior, I'd say $1000 if it runs and drives, 500-600 if it doesen't. Jeep prices seem to be very regional though so I may be way off for your area. The rearend should be a Dana 44, but I think they had a low spline count in those years (not sure). If so, it may not be an "Upgrade" for the model 20 in your '83.

I've seen both ATF and gear oil put in manual transmissions. If you live in a cold climate, the ATF is nice 'cause you can actually shift the damn thing in the winter!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a T5 is going to have ATF in it...if it gets cold with 80-90 in it you can't get it to shift....been there done that..=(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:45 PM

Biggest problem I have with shifting a tranfercase or tranny in the winter in my area is that the rubber boot breaks! I suppose temps in the -30 or more range will do that!

That Jeep sounds like a twin to mine, right down to the metal hardtop. You mentioned it didn't have the doors though....if you get it and decide to use it as a donor vehicle, and the previous owner happens to have the drivers door.....I may need to drop you a line and some $ as the driver's door on my metal hardtop '74 is in sad shape!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Addict

The '74 FSM sez that the 2nd "F" in the serial # indicates a full metal hardtop. I'm guessing this would be the same for the '73 CJ. The dana 44 rear should be the 30 spline narrow track model. Good luck.

Jeff

<font color=blue>Prepare for war, pray for peace.</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:10 PM

Metal hardtop was a FACTORY option in '74? Everyone has told me they were made as an aftermarket option! I see you saw it in the '74 FSM, but pardon my ignorance but what does FSM stand for? something Service Manual? I'm very curious!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:29 PM
Addict

cj5_pilot
FSM = factory service manual. At least my abbreviation for it. For that letter/spot in the serial # my manual shows the following:

1-thriftside pickup truck
2-townside pickup truck
3-platform stake (truck)
4-4 door wagon
5-open body
6-cab and chassis (truck)
7-2 door wagon
8-stripped chassis
F-full cab metal
H-half cab metal

I don't own one, I have a '77 soft top, it's just what the good book says.

Jeff

<font color=blue>Prepare for war, pray for peace.</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I owned an 81 CJ5 with a "JEEP" brand hard top. It was metal and square with full doors. I believe that it was not offered from the factory but after market from Jeep dealer.

Kriss

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:48 AM

CRSETH, IMHO there`s only 2 things on the 73 CJ you could possibly use as an upgrade. The rear D44 which has 30 spline, one piece flanged axles, and the 3.73 axle gears. The T-14 tranny is quite a bit stronger than your T-5, but it`s still a 3-speed which has a non-synchronized first gear. You would also have to use the D20 tcase, since the D300 in your 83 won`t work without an adapter. You would also have to swap your bellhousing and clutch pak out with the 73 model to be able to mount the T-14. The input shaft length on the T-14 is around 8" while your T-5 is around 6.5". Unless you just want to own another CJ, I would pass on it.

Jeff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:36 AM
CRSETH

Thanks for all the replies to my post. I'm sure I'll have many more questions for you all. I'm going to keep the 80-90 in the tranny and see if I encounter any problems with it shifting when it's cold. Cold in Mississippi is no where near as cold as it is for some of you guys!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode