1972-75 steering column parts source??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

1972-75 steering column parts source???

To all those out there that has a jeep with the tube steering column with saginaw steering. I am looking for the Plastic "Seat" as it is called in the Chiltons guide. It pretty much caps off the top of the column, with the bearing under it, and the spring and steering wheel over it. I asked at the local jeep parts store and the guy pretty much cursed Kiser for coming p with the cloumn, i guess AMC just borrowed Kiser's column. Is there any good hard to find jeep parts distributer that can find this part? Also i need the nut that holds down the steering wheel. I just finished painting my column and am about to start installing the new column into the jeep. But these are the last two parts that i need. Am I SOL or can i still buy these parts? Or is there something else that somehas used in place of this part. It is only plastic.
Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:50 PM

Re: 1972-75 steering column parts source???

I'm sorry, I had a similar problem this last summer with finding a turn signal for my '74. I found lots of stuff for '55-'71 and '76-'83, but virtually nothing for the '71-'75. I ended up using a generic turn signal like that in a commercial truck--thing is huge, but it works until I can find an OEM replacement. If you do find a good source, let me know! I'll help keep them in buisness! Good luck!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:18 AM

Dan, have you tried Turner 4WD? If they don`t have it maybe they will know somewhere else to check. Might also try Leon Rosser.

Turner 4WD http://www.thejeep.com/
Mon.-Thurs. 9-6 1-800-the-jeep

Leon Rosser http://www.thinkjeep.com/
1-800-834-7631

Sorry, that`s the only 2 I can think of that may have it.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

finding a turn signal for my \'74

I have a turn signal assembley laying around that I was planning on putting up on eBay. I removed it (it was working fine) from my '75 (should be identical) when I converted to a '76 tilt column.

If you want it, email me: [email protected]

Jay C.

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:49 AM
utahjeepr

I went through this about a year ago. I ended up machining my own replacement parts for the top "seat" and bottom bushing out of brass bushings

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Utah...
You woulndt by chance have any measurements of that "Seat"? Mine was so trashed i have nothing to work with. Jay C. Is helping me find one, and hopefully i can make a few. What kind of brass bushings did you use? I have another column that i believe has the bushing on it, but the damn steering wheel wont budge, and my buddy doesnt want me to destroy the wheel so he could use it. So i am stuf between a rock and a hard place. Luckily the bottom bushings on both columns are in great shape.

Thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

You mean there is supposed to be a bushing in there? Mine is in the same shape. I think it's a full floater cause the shaft just floats inside the tube. I am getting ready to convert mine to a 76 column to get the better ignition and integrated turn signal. I am pretty sure you can get the nut from a fasteners place and I think that the steering wheel I bought from grant had one in it (not positive). Mine has a brass bushing or shim in the top and the one in the bottom I guess is there as I have never taken it apart to confirm. You can probably find a bushing of the correct outside diameter from tractor supply in their bolt's and nuts section (or a bearing store) and then ream out the middle with a drill bit.

<font color=green> GreenMachine </font color=green>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:50 PM
utahjeepr

I don't have any specs. I am in the middle of an engine swap right now, but if I get a chance in the next day or so I'll pull the wheel off and measure/photo the piece I made. I basically just built it to fit. I looked through all the busshings I could find at NAPA and picked some that looked like they would work. I don't even know what they were "for", maybe I can find the reciept in the files and get some #'s. It's not a big deal to pull the wheel, but I gotta get this TPI swap done by the end of this weekend and I ain't even hardly gotten started yet.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Utah, by all means get that engine swap done. Whenever you get a chance those measurements would be cool. I have no idea what the bushing is supposed to look like, because it was so destroyed. I am not messing with the column swap that much right now, our club has a campout this month and my jeep "Works" so I am not messing with anything until after the campout. I want to finally be ready for the trip, instead of rushing to get the jeep together.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode