excessive springs sag caused by V8/winch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 02:27 PM
Joker2002

excessive springs sag caused by V8/winch

My dad is pushing for me to sell my current Jeep because of the excessive body work it needs. I told him that if I got another one I would buy one that already had a V8 swapped in it and that I would put a winch on it. I was just wondering, with all of that added weight on the front, what type of springs do a good job from sagging excessively? I've heard many good things about BDS and SkyJacker. Anyways, buying a Jeep probably won't be happening any time soon, but it will eventually and I want to be prepared for what's coming. Also, is there any type of V8 that I should be looking for in the Jeep (Chevy, AMC, etc.)? As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's fuel injected and in good condition it's fine with me. Anyways, let me know your thoughts.

Blake
93 YJ/33x12.50s/3" Heckethorn suspension/1.25" shackles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: excessive springs sag caused by V8/winch

good luck finding a FI v8 in a jeep that is cheap... I'd look for a descent jeep with a chevy (cheaper parts) and thry to find a FI out of a junk yard. If your not worried about money then look for an AMC... 401 if you want really rare, and expensive.

don't have to much exp about the springs though. I do know that amc V8's are alot heaver that chevy's.
I'm preping to swap in a 304, and in looking for info on that subject too.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

i have a winch and a ford 302 in my 66 CJ w/ a 4" superlift. you cant even tell it has a v8 or a winch. of course these springs are the stiffest things i have ever experienced. it actually sits a wee bit higher in the front.

92 FullSize Blazer Sport 3" 285/75 Geolander MT x8000i Trans4mer 4.10s
65 CJ5 302 Ford 4.5" 34/9.50 TSLs Warn OD 4.27s
79 Scout 6" 33/12.50 TSLs 4.88s Welded Diffs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

Blake, I have a spring problem with my jeep. I have 2 batteries,8274,and a 401. I am using BDS springs and have lost about 1.5" of lift. I would like to find an add-a-leaf kit for my front. Maybe a kit from the pre-76 jeeps might help. Just to let you know it is a problem, but not too bad..
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7 with LOTS O' CRAP
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html,
http://www.aphlac.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:28 PM

Don't forget about those air horns Ricky.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] They gotta weigh a ton too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:15 PM

I wouldn't go out and buy a "built jeep" especially one with a v8 swapped in. It's been discused before on this board. Who really cares about thier jeeps body especaially on a trail rig? If you are so worried about your body do you wheel it? Don't listen to your dad keep your jeep since you probably have hours of time and moeny in it and build it exactly the way you want to, if it involves body work get a mig welder and go to work and make some bumpers and skid plates while you are at it.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:14 AM

It's all a matter of spring rate. Most spring companies only make one or two rates for Jeeps(soft or hard). You'll need to find which ones are rated what. National Spring, OME, and Alcan(which I use) make the set of springs specifically for the weight of you rig. You tell them all the specs of your rig and they build the springs to match it.

As far as sell your Jeep because body damage, the only way to make that call is by looking at . Not meaning to piss anybody off, but someone here, telling you not to listen to your father's advice is a little ridculous IMO. Your dad has has seen it , nobody here has.
And If you where to put a V8 in what you have you'd be breaking and upgrading everthing else ( d35,,ect)

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought i read somewhere that the 258 was heavier then the amc v8. I maybe wrong but i think we had that discussion on here once. If someone knows post the truth. Any way i have superlift softride 4in springs. Before i even installed the winch i lost about 1 1/2 to sag. Then the winch made then sag about another inch. So that leaves me with bent fenders from my 33's and 1 1/2 inches on lift. Needless to say its time for different springs.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:28 AM

Sorry i didn't mean to word it worng. I ment something like maybe think for you self and if you like your jeep and if the body doesn't bother you i wouldn't worry about it.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

pontiac58 - I'm not sure about the 258 being heavier than the 304 but I know it F'in heavy!! My friend sold his 258 out of his wrangler and the guy that came to take it (some mechanic with his own garage) couldn't even lift with an engine hoist. The guy wound up calling his garage to send out the tow truck to lift the engine out of the frame and onto the pick up bed he used to take it away - made me think twice about ever swapping one into my Jeep.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode