windshield hinges - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

windshield hinges

I got some new hinges and mirrors for x-mas, I went to put the new ones on and I cannot get the stock ones off. It looks like I might have to drill one of them out on the face of the windshield due to the torx socket stripping it out. Does any one have an easier way to get them off, I really dont want to drill it out if I dont have to.
Thanks

87YJ, 4.2, 5 spd, 4.75" lift, 33s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:54 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: windshield hinges

May I respectfully suggest here's a few ideas:

1. Drill it out. Use a 5/16" or 3/8" drill to remove the head material from the reamining bolt shank. This will free the hinge and then you can pound out the shank or drill and re-thread it.

2. Cold Chisle it out: Using the cold chisle cut down from the outside of the Torex head into the center, of course not cutting into the hinge. Repeat this 4 time so you have a "cross" chisled into the head. Using a the chisle lift up on one quarter of the material that's left and pound it toward the center of the bolt shank. Once it's toward the center, pound it back. Just work it back and forth untill it fractures. Repeat the process with the ohter quarter pieces.

3. The weld method. This is a long shot for me, but has worked.... Grind a taper onto a 5/16" bolt that will fit into the existing hole you've drilled. Using an Arc welder, weld that little bolt to the existing Torex and to the material that's left. Let it cool about 2 hours... and go back an see if you can turn out the bolt and the remains of the tool and Torex material.

4. Use a torch to heat up the bolt and then walk a way an let it cool, much the same as above... but it toasts the paint.

5. Use a GOOD LIFETIME WARANTEE Torx socket and impact gun. Sometime if it ain't rusted enough one can break it free.

An air operated cutoff tool, chisle, and impact hammer is nice for this job, however a drill mounted cutoff blade is adaquate to get the job done.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 12:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

One sugestion when putting it back together...ANTI-SIEZE! I've gone through an entire jar of the stuff putting my Jeep back together, but I know it will come apart 20 years from now. The stuff is great

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would suggest buying a really good set of drill bits. Unless you have tiny hands and a lot of patience, the bolts on the tub half of the hinge will be easier to remove this way. The good news is that there is no retapping these holes because there are nuts on the other side. The bad news is that the nuts are only attached be some rust proofing gunk so they spin. Also the gunk makes it hard to get a wrench on them if you can even reach them under the dash.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs thanx to every Cheap trick on this board. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 01:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jeep guys must have been doing LSD when they put those "tabs" up under there .I had my dash out and that made my "extraction" easier . I busted those tabs out and used SS screws and NYLOC nuts with thick fender washers where the tabs were . Not a great pick but it shows the end result .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-637817-Drivers8x600.jpg (68.5 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode