sorta O/T WARN saves the day!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

sorta O/T WARN saves the day!!!

I was dropping my daughter off at the high school for a basketball game. She stepped out of the van and I heard something go "clank-a-clickety-click". She exclaims," ahhh...that's my cell phone!!!". I get out and I had parked right next to a 1.5'X3' storm drain 7' deep and the cell phone decided to fall out at that location[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. No way to reach it (heck we couldn't even see it). The cover must have weighed 300lbs. (This falls into one of "those" catagories ..you're in a parking lot of 12,000 sq ft and you drop your keys and they manage to find the 3"x3" drain -the target was bigger ...but the events still had to string together that way). So I went home and got the TJ with the M8000. I straddled the curb and lifted the grate ..it actually compressed the tires and the suspension a good bit before breaking loose. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] FOR ALL YOU FIREFIGHTERS and HAZMAT PEOPLE[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm well versed in "confined space" work and have been appropriately trained in all the problems one might encounter in such places ...but since I had no O2/flamable gas meter ...I had to improvise. I rigged a harness out of my recovery strap and attached the winch cable to it ...daughter at the controls w/appropriate instructions (there were other responsible adults around including the school maintenance man). That's about it ..down, up and out. My Warn M8000 not only saved me between $50-75 but made me a hero in my teenage daughters eyes. She termed it "awesome".

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sorta O/T WARN saves the day!!!

ROFLMAO,
Funny story GeeAea.
I wish I was there with a camera.
When I first started reading it, I thought you were gonna say that you put a big wad of duct tape on your hook and got it out that way, but if you couldn't see it, that wouldn't work.
They always say, once you get a winch, you'll invent ways to use it. LOL
It's my next big buy, saved all my coin for a year, ( about a grand! ).
I've got a 4K Superwinch on the car hauler, but I want a Warn for the Jeep. If you had a grand which model would you get? Don't rule out the 8274, cause Advanced says they can get me one for $864. There are rumors they are out of stock, but my guy says he's got 6 at the whorehouse.
Again, Good Story!

CTjeepnut

You had to do what to fit those little tires?
I'm sure glad I own a CJ!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

That's a good price for the 8274! I paid $910 for the winch, the mounting plate, and the accessory bag (all the neat $hit). I believe the winch w/roller fairlead was $550 which is stll good (I think) and I've had it over a year.

Yeah, I guess that would have been a Kodak moment.

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 08:03 AM
Way Outta Control

Two weeks after I bought a used winch one of my daughters had an encounter with a Deer that tried to run her off the road in the Bronco II. She learned her lessons well and the Deer was not the better for the encounter. But, the BII also had damage. So, after I removed the fender and saw damage to the front underlaying sheet metal it was the Warn to the rescue. Just park the Jeep in front of the Bronco, attach the tow hook to the right place on the sheet metal and start pullin' out the damage.

Now I admit it wasn't as "close" as a frame machine could have done... but it was close enough to put everything back together and drive the Bronco another three years.

Yep, a winch is a mighty handy thing to have.

My favorite "It can't be done" clips out of any movie is from the "Gods must be crazy" where the Land Rover winches itself into the air using a tree limb. Now that's humor!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Now that was a funny movie[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I think they called that thing the Anti-Christ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

My wife says (it's her daily driver that has the winch) that aside from the occasional stranded comuter that she pulls out of the median mud ..... the winch is a "male magnet". She always gets comments from her male coworkers ..telling them of her off road adventures. I guess it's a toy usually reserved for boys.

GeeAea

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 01:20 PM

Th guy at Advance is right...they usually run out of stock about every two weeks...I cant figure out why they charge so
little for them, but that's probably the reason they move so quickly.. I have been working at Advance for about a year
now, and I am surprised by the prices for the warn equipment.

Alec

there's no trophy for second place

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast

Does Advance have a web site? If so, what is it? Or an I making a fool of myself because Advance is only a web site? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I can't say I've ever heard of them before today.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:08 PM

Great story! ROTFLMNO thud.....thud[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I never could figure out why everyone else charged so much for them. I really like the look of the thing ...but there was never any way to justify the price. Heck, my 8000 will lift the entire Jeep off the ground ....two of them maybe. Now depending on your testing criteria the 8274 is as good as a 12000 ....so ...... One thing I noted was that with the installation of the winch my temp gauge came up just a tad ....I actually bought the Turbo City enlarged thermostat housing ...and it works!!!! It brought the temp back to normal. I would think that the 8274 would be even more restrictive of airflow over the rad..... Still one nice lookin' winch.

GeeAea

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alec, you communist, dont bother saying hi to your boys? Forget about us all already?

Hey, Since the Silverado POS is now long gone, I'll be getting my Ram back. It needs a winch. What are you guys selling the HS9500, M12000, and m15000 for? I think i wanna go with the trans4mer mount, i dont like brishgaurds on the rams....lemme know...

remy

PS-< tell the boys that Remy says hi!

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode