Best bolt in seats for CJ-7? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Best bolt in seats for CJ-7?

I'm shopping for some good quality, comfy seats for my CJ-7. I was looking at mastercraft and beard (don't know if I spelled that right). I have a best-top which has thin vinyl and already ripped. I don't want to spend a fortune on brackets kits either. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 06:40 PM

Re: Best bolt in seats for CJ-7?

Lumpy85 has the Steal Horse Super Seats in his rig. i really like them. I have the cheap Steal Horse seats in my rig. they were in there when i got it. Let me tell you they suck.. About a year old and the bottom cushion is already going flat. I just need to spend the money and get some new ones.

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 07:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

They may not be bolt in, but LEVE has seats from a Pontiac Fiero in his Jeep. He claims they are plenty comfy, and have built in speakers in the headrests. Just another option to look at.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 03:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I found some nice high back seats from a late model Chevy van that were almost bolt in seats. Had to drill one hole on the passenger side slider. You can make almost any seat work with a little fabbing.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 05:16 AM

I heard honda prelude seats take just a bit of modification and they fit.
I put some full size van "captain-seats" in for a day and man it was NICE.
They were so ugly I had to take em out.I had some fairly new steel horse and the fabric seats where sooo much nicer.The only problem with them is water..

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 09:29 PM

Hey man, like Wade said I like my steel horse super seats and unlike all the factory cloth seats I clean my seats at the car wash after I go mudding. They also have nice bolsters that hold you in on the side hills and stuff!

85 CJ7 4inches 33ssr's infinite projects
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:27 AM

this isn't talked of mush so I don't know how new it is but I used vw seat's out of a gti and they are awsome I love them, me and a friend built up a vw for it racing so I got the old ones for free. I had to weld the brackets on but it was worth it for me, they are just like race buckets in my opition. they have the steel frame of a race bucket just more comfortable. just my .02
Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Can't Get Enough

I've got the cheep steel horse seats in my CJ-7. I bought them through JC Whitney for $99/piece. They bolt right in. I think that they are comfy enough for me. They are bigger than stock, so you have to mount them so they don't rub on the roll bar. This means that on the drivers side you can't put the seat all the way back and on the pass. side you have to cut the bolt holes in the mounting brackets a little longer so you can slide the seat forward. I wouldn't have any complaints about them if only I had a tilt steering wheel so I could get in and out easily.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:48 PM

To me, the seat that is <font color=red>best</font color=red> depends on needs, wants, likes, preference, cost, etc. Your list is likely different that mine. What do you do with your Jeep? What matters most to you for the seat you ride in? Is money a big issue or small issue? You say you don't want to spend tons on adapting barckets. I understand that, but why felch at a $50 adaptor if considering a $300 seat like MasterCraft?

I don't compete in my Jeep so I have no special requirements that way. Jeep seats get wet and get dirty so water resistance and easy cleaning are high on my list. Jeeps bounce and operate at goofy angles so a seat/seatbelt combo that will keep me in place is also a priority. Cushy comfort is low on the list. Foam and cloth absorb water - wether hose water, rain water or rank nasty water that has been sitting in a mud hole all summer.
My personal favorite is the basic black plastic so-called 'racing seat'. At about $40 they are inexpensive. The shape holds driver and passenger in place quite well. Injection molded plastic is durable, easy to maintain and highly water resistant... however, not the most comfortable seating surface for DD use. That was no problem because my wife is not only lovely but she is a super sewing woman - she made some custom form fitting covers with cushions sewn in. Very nice.

Regarding new replacement type seats, kinda get what you pay for - IMHO. Regarding bolt in or not - Call the mfg and ask what is required to bolt their seat to your CJ seat frame or slider. MasterCraft has models that bolt to CJs w/o any adaptor.

If you are looking for seats from a donor vehicle, try this - Remove a seat and measure the mounting hole pattern, maybe even make a template. Measure the seat pattern and the slider pattern so you have two possible mounting patterns for matching to. Visit a local pic-n-pull salvage yard with your meaurements (or template) and start checking seats until you find a match. Check the seats and sliders... something will be close enough to need very little or no modification. If you have reasonable DIY skills and minimal tools, like a hacksaw & drill you can fab brackets to bolt almost any seat to your CJ frames. Grinder, Dremel type tool, vise, welder, etc will make the job easier.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:56 PM
Can't Get Enough

I got a set of Bestop Trailmax Pro's. They are bolt in, but a little on the pricey side. I had the Rosser Thinkjeep seats for 4 years and my wife treated me to some nice seats for my B'day. We saw these seats at one of the jeep trips we frequent in TN. One thing about meeting new people at events is being able to look and test out their stuff.
Hey that is an idea, a good reason to do jeep trips is to keep from spending too much money on bad stuff???????
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7 with LOTS O' CRAP
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html,
http://www.aphlac.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode