How to remove clutch pedal spring? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

How to remove clutch pedal spring?

OK, my clutch pedal spring is kicking my ass. (The one under the dash holding the clutch pedal). I've just spent a hour with 5 screwdrivers, three tire irons, a four foot crowbar, 1 hammer, and a 5lb sledge with no luck. How the heck to you get that sucker off it's perch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 09:31 PM

Re: How to remove clutch pedal spring?

From the pages of the 1980 jeep TSM
1 Disconnect the battery negative cable
2 remove the main wireing harness from the clip that secures harness to dash pannel.Clip is located below the dash pannel rod mounting bracket.IN other words get the wireing out of the way.
3 Center punch and drill a 3/8 " hole in the firewall 1 3/4 " below the center of the bracket for the support rod that goes from the fire wall to the grill.
4 feed a three foot long piece of double stranded mechanics wire through the hole (I think I used a wire hanger ,baleing wire may work also just be sure it is heavy duty.)
5 I twisted the ends together first ,then fed the opposit end through the hole in the firewall and hooked it over the end of the overcenter spring'(they say to feed it through the hole around the spring end then back out the hole and twist the ends together securly to form a loop .whateve floats your boat.)
6....They get real elaborate at this point so In plain english they say to use a 2X4 I used a long pipe,You need to ,depending on what is in the way brake lines and such, either clamp something somewhere sceure enough to get leverage on that pipe and pull the spring back far enough to clear the notch it sits in on the pedal.once it clears the pedal it is off.you may or may not have to bend the bracket it connects to to get it off ,they suggest a vicegrips.
7 installing the new one is just the opposit and just as big a pain in the ass.They say to have a helper let you know when it seats on the pedal arm .
I can't recollect how many times I slipped it off but a lot of four letter words were in order.
* as a side note they say as you pull the 2X4 foreward the spring rides along the pedal edge until it seats in the pedal slot..thats what they say.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 09:37 PM

Oh yeah they don't tell ya this but I will .if you are going to remove the pedal you will have to either loosen up or take the fuse box off the firewall.
and the snapring is about as much fun as the overcenter spring.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the inputs guys. I got impatient and cut the spring in half with my die grinder. I got the pedal modified for the hyd. clutch, but now I need to order a new spring. Hopefully I'll be able to put the spring on if I take the whole assembly out first. Nothing like working under the dash to brighten up your day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode