YJ rusted frame - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 11:21 AM
MaineJeep

YJ rusted frame

My frame is rusted around the rear shackles. A Body shop wants $500 to fix this by replacing the very end part of the frame, they said they've done thee before and thats the main area that YJ frames rust. Does anyone make pieces of this part of the frame, so I can just cut it out and weld in the new pieces?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 01:13 PM

Re: YJ rusted frame

I don't know of any company that makes patches for this, but there may be some available. Sorry.

I fixed similar rust on a CJ. I used lengths of 3.5" x .25" thick square tube about 16" long. The inside dimension matched my CJ frame rail almost exact, I think YJ is different so measure and get the size to fit. I cut off the top to make the square tube into a "U". Then made cuts in the vertical sides of the "U" so I could bend the "U" to match the frame rail. Cut away the nasty rusty metal from the frame. Weld the 'replacement frame rail' in place. Also welded seams of the cuts made for bending. I used measurements from a Jeep frame diagram (I got from the local 4x4 shop) to place the shackle hangars. With the shackle hangars bolted in place I could weld the nuts inside the new frame rail. Then I welded on a new rear crossmember, purchased from the local 4x4 shop.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pontiac58 has a cj7 and he had a lot of rust. He had a shop (friend) cut a piece off another frame and replace the rusted spot. You might want to ask him for some info

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 04:17 PM
Veteran

buy a new used frame. Where in maine are you located?? I might know someone that has one for $400.

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Chrome don't get ya Home
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rust? In Maine? You're kidding.

You say tomato, I say fawk you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 07:39 PM
MaineJeep

pbytrailz, I live in Phillips, I only paid $500 for the whole Jeep so I'm not sure how much I'm willing to sink into this thing, its got 106K miles, auto, ps, pb, hardtop, almost new A/T rubber. I also don't have a lot of time on my hands, this was supposed to be a hunting/fishing and general knock around vehicle. I could easily see this consuming all my spare time and I'll end up completly Jeep crazy, stop going to work and start posting on here all day. I'll end up with a $12,000 dollar jeep worth $3000, not to mention building a garage and $5,000 worth of tools and welding equipment. I may never get to hunt or fish again.

I'm thinking of removing the tub, and trying to fix the frame and tub myself. Or selling it and buying a more rust free one to immerse myself into. I'm doing the the Team Rush ignition thing, and Nutter bypass no matter what, I've just got to see how much better it'll run. I'm getting addicted, what more can I say.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've done 3 cj's that have had the same problem(2 a little more than just that)but what we've done is take angle iron on out side and flat bar on the inside all the way to where it curves up for the axle. you'll either have to re drill holes for the hangers or weld them on(my preference).to prep i just ground and cut bad stuff out then treated metal then overlaid the angle then the flatbar all three were done with the bodies off. i think M.O.R.E. sells frame repair peices. hth

taco
78cj7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 07:44 PM

just fixed this (and a few other holes on my CJ). Unbolt the spring hangers, cut some angle iron to fit, weld on, drill new holes for the spring hangers, and drive off. You will find most things related to jeeps seem harder before you do them. Good luck.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode