Front Locker on a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Front Locker on a CJ

I have a 79 cj 5 with a 258 and a 2.5 inch suspention lift. the jeep does great untill I hit some soft stuff and a front wheel gets off the ground, then I am done. The rear has a good posi and it never only spin one tire, except around turns. I was thinking of sticking a locker in it, and need to know what to get.
I drive it on the street fairly often and dont want something that will make me lose control or make a ton of noise. Will a locker make noise in the front around turns even if the hubs are not locked and it is not in 4wd?
I dont think I can afford an ARB, so I was thinking a detroit EZ, or a powertrax, true trax, Quick lock something in that price range. What do you think will best fit my need(pretty much give me good traction and not make a bunch of racket on the street). Also what is involved with installing this locker? Can I do it or should I have it professional done, how much $$ to have a shop do it?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 02:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Front Locker on a CJ

the locker will not be a factor in your front when the hubs are unlocked and you are in 2wd.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

thanks
what locker would you recomend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tony, fill out your profile. i take it you have a cj5 with a dana30 right? well i don't like lunchbox lockers for the type of wheeling i do because they will not last but i think one of them will be the best option for you. they are realatively inexpensive and easy to install. either a lockrite or detroit e-z locker will work. find the best deal and go for it.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 10:13 AM

I run a lockrite in the front and have no complaints. The only time you'll notice it on the street is if you are in 4x. Some say there can be a problem with steering on the trail; I haven't noticed it. Randy's Ring and Pinion is a very good shop to deal with. You should call them up for pricing and advice.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't dump a bunch of money into a 30, do what I did a couple years ago and put in a Lock Right. Inexpensive (relatively) and very easy to install, will take you about and hour and a half. Sooner or later you will dump the 30 for something bigger, I plan on it when my 30 finally breaks, then I can at least sell the locker for a few bucks.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

I only have enough money for one locker now, should I put it in the front or in the rear. The rear end has a pretty tight stock trac lock which seems to work well.
what do you think, should I go with the back and then the front when I can afford it or other way around.?????
thanks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 02:45 AM

Well, the way I see it from what you have told us, go with the front for several reasons (lunch-box locker, i.e. lock right, ez-locker, etc). First, you already have a traction aid in the rear you seem happy with. Second the front seems to be where you think you are having the most problems. Third, the front will be the place that has no on-road impact, as you specified.

Lunchbox locker will run you about $300 range.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 03:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you drive your Jeep in the snow or ice? If you do, you will be better off in 2wd or with only ONE front hub locked in slippery conditions. A full locker like a Lock Right or EZ locker will cause serious steering problems in slippery conditions in 4wd.

Other than that a Lock Right will work great in the front and wont cost a whole lot.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

I will be not be driving in the snow or ice much, so I think I am going to go with the lock right in the front.
thanks bluseman2a for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode