CJ 5 Shackle Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

CJ 5 Shackle Questions

shackle question
Shackle Reversal
I recently purchased a '79 cj 5 that was almoast completly stock. This week end I put a Rancho 2.5" lift on it, that is about all that has been done to it. The jeep handled badly before the new suspension, it would be all over the road and some times at moderate speeds go into a thing were it would wonder, I would corect, then it would weave back and forth from side to side( if that made any sense?). After I put the new rancho suspension and the dessert rattler shocks it doesnt do the back and forht thing but it still wonders. I have been told that a shackle reversal will help with the wondering and handling. Is this true? I was also told that I need a driveline that will compress and extend more then the stock drive line, is this true? What parts would I need to get to do this If I were to buy a shackle reversal "kit"? Also wondering what is included in the kits, and why I could not just reverse the spring hanger and the shackle hanger, using the stock parts and not buy the kit?

Tereflex Revolving Shackles
Next shackle question is that I am not happy with the articulation and wheel travle of the suspention. I have been reading about the tereflex revolving shackle and am very interested? Is it as good as it is made out to be, (Ihave heard claims that it is almoast as good as a coil conversion, and can give up to 10" of increased wheel travel?)? Will these work with a shackle reversal? What do I need for these to properly work? I have heard new drivelines, brake lines, and shocks?

How would these two modifacations work together? If not well which is better? Can I get a new drivline that will work for both?

Any input is appreciated? sorry for making the post so long.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 09:24 PM
Official Historian

Re: CJ 5 Shackle Questions

From my experience, if it is an everyday driver, the shackle reversal will help the ride enough to justify the expense and restriction of tire size due to the tire moving up and back with the shackle at the rear of the spring. If this is a second vehicle, it's not always worth the effort. In either case, make sure you have enough caster, your toe is correct and your ball joints and tie rod ends are tight.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

How much tire size or clearence will I lose?
Do you know if I need the kit or if I could just swithch the spring hanger and shackle mount around? What about the drive line?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 11:02 PM
jeepfiend

I don't know about the driveline issue, I still haven't reassmebled my Jeep with the shackle reverse. But as far as the axle travel changing, that is true. Now when the springs compress the tire moves back instead of forward. I am going to make some plates similar to a product by M.O.R.E.. They make a plate with an offset center pin that can move your axle as much as one inch forward or backward. You don't want to go too far forward, since you will have to mess with steering geometry if you go too far. I plan on making a new driveline anyway once I have the front axle in place.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tonyscj5-

Your problems may be a combination of things. As you corrected part of it with the Rancho kit, it would seem to me that you may still have a sloppy steering system. What I mean is all the parts from the u-joint at the steering shaft to the ball joints at the axle. I would start by considering replacement of all the ball joints, then check the u-joint and the steering box. The ball joints will wear out all by themselves and the other parts are subject to wear from hard wheel'n. I assume that you have done a good inspection on the jeep and there are no missing bolts like the ones that hold the steering box in place and that the shackles are of stock or near stock height (not over 1/2 inch of lift) and that all the bushings are all in good shape after installing the new springs. Also check the steering stabilizer as this needs to be working properly as well. The other area that has caused problems for me in the past is the front wheel bearings. When they are shot, the front will drift around. If everything above is good, you should not have the wondering problem. (Are you sure that you don't have lockers? (hee hee))

I believe that with only a 2 1/2 inch lift you do not have to extend your driveline unless you make further modifications to extend the articulation such as Teraflex revolving shackles maybe.

You have already spent your money for the new springs so I would not spend more for the shackle reversal. I think that the idea of shackle reversal sounds better on paper than it may be in practice. There are some trades with the conversion. I do admit that the ride would be smoother when banging into pot holes but....

The only other thought that I have to offer is to stop and consider just what you want to do with your jeep in the long run. It is very easy to pour a bunch of money into a project but getting any of those bucks back if you decide to sell is hard.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One Other Thought-

Are your tires out of balance? If they bounce at about the same speed (hitting a bump sometimes will start them going), this could also be part of the problem.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

One more thing to check. CJ's are notorious for cracking the steering box mounts. Although, if your Jeep was stock up to this point, it's probably fine. This will cause a wandering effect.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

one thing notorious for causeing loose steering on the cj's is the bell joint on the steering shaft (the joint down at the steering box end). you can check it by turning the steering wheel back and forth while you watch it. you can tell when there is play in it. they are only about $15 and pretty easy to replace. switching to one of the borgson (sp?) or flaming river shafts would also eliminate the bell joint all together. while these would be the best way, they would also be the most expensive. they are over $200.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

could I just reverse the spring hanger and the shackle hanger, then flip the spring and shackle around? has any one tries this it seems to me that it is the same idea and shoud work. what do you think?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

could I just reverse the spring hanger and the shackle hanger, then flip the spring and shackle around? has any one tries this it seems to me that it is the same idea and shoud work. what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode