Doh! Winch works, now Jeep doesn't! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doh! Winch works, now Jeep doesn\'t!

I knew things were going too smoothly. I've spent the day setting up my new winch on the CJ. All is going smoothly (for a Jeep project) and I can feel the excitement building. I'm on the last leg of the journey - hooking up the power wire. Unfortunately, while doing that the wrench slipped off the nut and landed on the negative terminal, dang near welding the wrench to the battery. Anyway...the winch works, the headlights work, etc. But the Jeep won't start. Turn the key and...nothing.

So...for an '85 AMC 360...do y'all think it's the starter, the starter solenoid, or the ignition control module?

Type 6-"Woodlands" '82 CJ'7
Type 2-"Occasional 'froader" '96 ZJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 09:09 PM
Official Historian

Re: Doh! Winch works, now Jeep doesn\'t!

I can narrow your search a little. If the engine does not crank, it's in the starting system: ignition switch, starter or solenoid or the wiring between them. If it's cranking, it's in the igition system. You might have discharged the battery to the point that it will light the lights but won't turn the starter. Check it with a volt meter.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, the headlights are plenty bright - not dim at all. The winch works. I put a jumper cable on the positive terminal and on the appropriate terminal of the starter solenoid. Sparks flew and the engine turned over. I didn't leave the cable on long enough to see if the motor would actually start.

hmmmm.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:04 AM

did you make sure it didnt cook the fuse for the ignition circuit? should be one in the fusebox, but if not would be inline. when you jumped to the solenoid, you verified that everything is ok, starter, battery, etc. must have had a meltdown. if nothing in the fusebox, i would trace from the solenoid, back toward the ignition switch, looking for a burnt area.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:10 AM
Way Outta Control

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

the wrench slipped off the nut and landed on the negative terminal, dang near welding the wrench to the battery.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm confused. Are you saying:
a. The wrench shorted the battery, positive to negative terminal.
or
b. The wrench shorted postitive to ground.
or
c. The wrench shorted the negative battery post to ground.

Check for an open fuseable link in the ignition feed system.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 01:18 AM

Would suggest some simple stuff before you jump off under the dash:

Check your grounds. When running heavy loads it is possible you have burned up your: a) ground cable b) starter cable c) ground shunt between the block/frame

Any of them could be toast...

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The wrench formed a bridge between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. The battery is a new red top Optima.

All the ground cables look good.

I've checked every fuse in the fuse block under the dash. There don't seem to be any for the starting circuitry - only things like accessories/flashers/clock/dome light, etc.

I can't find a fuse for the ignition circuit. I didn't see on in-line, either.

I'll probably replace the starter solenoid today, and see if that works. If not, uhhhhh....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 10:33 AM
Way Outta Control

From the description of the accident with the wrench I'd doubt it would kill the battery. It is possible to cause a rapid discharge and short one plate of the battery which would cause the symptoms. However, that's a longshot with an Optima battery as they are very robust.

To confirm the battery is good run a jumper cable under the Jeep to the starter motor Positive cable connection and then touch the other end of the cable to the Positive side of the battery. If the starter motor engages, the battery is OK. If not the battery is likely toast.

I think the bigger question is what do you do if the battery is good? Well, that's a great question to ask...

Like in football you drop back 20 and punt. It's no different here. You've got to sit back and think about what you've done, what's changed and how you changed it. My suspision is you have a wiring error. The wiring error is killing the voltage... Do you have a schematic on the electrical system, and the winch with instructions on how to connect the two togeter?

Let's start there...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your interest and help, LEVE. I already jumped from the positive terminal of the battery to the terminal of the starter solenoid where the starter connects. The motor turned over. Starter is good.

As for wiring the winch, it only has a ground wire (which I ground to the frame) and a positive wire, which connects to the positive terminal of the battery. Again, the winch works.

I did not change any of the Jeep's wiring when installing the winch.

That's why I'm thinking (hoping) I just fried the starter solenoid. It shouldn't be the ignition control module, because the motor should at least turn over but not start if it was bad.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just to put my 2 cents in....the starter relay(solenoid) sounds the most likely suspect to me...possibly cooked the relay & is now WAO....when you put the hot cable to the starter you jumped out the relay....starter turned...looks like the relay.....good luck!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode