Tips on welding shifter levers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Tips on welding shifter levers

After clocking my d-300, I need to shorten part of the shift levers. I cut one, tack welded with 7014 @ 95amps/dc-. While testing the throw the spot welds broke (yes, there was quite a bit of leverage) but there didn't seem to be much weld penetration. The ends were tapered and there was about 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap between the pieces. Any ideas on how to do this properly? Thanks in advance.
GM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: Tips on welding shifter levers

Added a picture. The non-stock arm is part of the 4-Plus twinstick kit. The area that is to be shortened is at the top of the picture where the levers go off about 45 deg.

GM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-635862-D300shiftermodsassem2_small.jpg (19.2 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a thought, you might want try welding half way around and then bevel the weld where you started and stopped, then weld the other half. Again grind your starts and stops, then run another pass all the way around on top your fist pass.
You for sure need to grind your starting points because 70 series rods tend to leave some porosity in the weld where your starting point is. Plus you want to make sure you don't trap any slag behind your weld or you won't get any penetration. Also by beveling the stopping point that allows you to start your weld a little farther back, and by the time the weld reaches the gap there shouldn't be any porosity and you'll have a stronger weld.
Hope this makes sense

thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Those are excellent pointers, Bob. The heavy flux rods are kind of a problem for close circles like he was welding. The stock shifters are often a forging and as such will weld up perfectly with a wire welder using CO2 and mild steel wire. I recently did several welds using the Millermatic when we twin-sticked our NP205, and those shifters were forgings. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 10:01 PM

Hey dave when you get a chance could you take a few shots of your twin stick 205 and how you mounted the levers. I've heard it explained several times but a picture always seems to evade those explanations. Thanks

Richard
83cj7/1ton everything
It use to be a jeep thing, but that stuff broke.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 04:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have a complete photo spread of it SOMEWHERE that Jeep "N" put together and was able to be accessed, but I'll have to try and remember where or what the format was. Moving and then being offline for three months has left my mind in a whacked-out condition as far as the compooter goes.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Both Jeep "N" and I used an extended bolt to swing the two levers on, and the bolt goes in the same spot as before. Then my setup departs a little from Jeep "N"'s as I used indirect linkage and his is direct. That is to say that my levers pull a swinging link that pulls the shift rail, while Mark's setup has a direct link from the shift lever to the end of the rail without the swinging link. I'm just a more paranoid engineer than Mark is, so I have to have a more complex system, you see.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'll try and find the photo spread for you.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Head to http://www.fototime.com and enter [email protected]. Then go to the section on "Pictures to Post" and you'll find them. I'll post pictures of mine when I get the home computer up and running, I should have a phone line installed this weekend. I'm still in MA during the week for now.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode