Damn... Reman Starters Really Suck... just venting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Damn... Reman Starters Really Suck... just venting

Well last month, November, my starter decided to die. Well i run mud most of the times and I was fortunate that it lasted about a year. I got the new alternator December 5. Got it shimmed correctly, thanks LEVE. Only drove the jeep from front of house to rear of house. Then last weekend I went out on a trail ride. Not much mud this time of year. Only found two little holes and did not even get the starter in the water. In the middle of the day after a little lunch break. I tried to start the jeep. No GO. The solinoid will move, but not the starter. Well the rest of the day i was pull started, and i got home without a hitch. I pulled the starter and cables. Took everything to the local Discount Auto store. Guess what the starter had locked up. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I looked at the starter when i pulled it and it was real clean and all the stickers where still showing the letters and words. Well I got the lifetime warrenty (3 replacements) and they gave me a new starter. A cool thing was the counter girl forgot to indicate it was swapepd back this time, so i still have two more replacments coming my way. My vent is i wish they would last a little longer. I did not even play hard this time. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
It is weird that I used the same discount store and this new starter came with shims and paperwork showing how to install them. Two shims on the starter and it fit and started so nicely. I also changes out my wires from cruddy 6 gauge up to nice and shiny 4 gauge [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] they had the 2 gauge, but not in my size and i did not feel like cutting and adding on new ends.
Even though the starter rebuild are iffy quality at times, i still like the "lifetime" warranty, even though it is for 3 replacement starters, better than nothing.
The price i have to pay owning my jeep... yeah i still love it.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 12:01 PM
utahjeepr

Re: Damn... Reman Starters Really Suck... just venting

The quality of rebuilt parts at many auto parts stores is pretty poor. They are gambling that most people will not be keeping the same car very long. They have also done some math and decided that it is cheaper to replace a certain amount of parts under warranty than to build better parts in the first place. I prefer to get my rebuilt starters, alternators, etc from NAPA. I pay a little bit more, and I don't get a lifetime warranty, but the parts last for years.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 03:11 PM

Are you sure it is the starter and not a wireing /ground problem.I replaced a starter and solenoid once only to find out it was a loose wire going to an in dash Ampmeter,Knocked loose by yours truley while doing something else under the dash.the ampmeter is now resideing in my tool box .I also FRIED an extra ground wire a while back when the ground wire going to the block vibrated loose.If you play in the mud alot you may get the ground connections wet enough to rust and when you change the starter Jiggle them enough to reground themselves and rust again a while later.
Just a theory .

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 03:14 PM
Old Hand

I got my rebuilt starter from Autozone.. as far as I know, they let you replace it as many times as needed.. I've already replaced it once, no questions asked, no hassle.

I think I also got a good deal on a battery from them.. It was my fault that I had not secured it properly, and it dumped over sideways after running into a tree.. the acid came out and it wouldn't hold a charge.. since it was in the first year since I bought it, I got a new one for free, no hassle.

Sure the parts may be cheap, but with unlimited replacements you can afford to carry a spare starter or count on being able to be push-started (unless you have a slush box)

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah the mud really does some damage if you dont clean it. I have all the wiring to the starter really clean and simple. I have only two wires. One 4 gauge to battery amd the one to the ignition switch. All brand new stuff. I know what you saying with the rust and grounding, but luckily i have gone through the wires enoguh to know that it is all new clean stuff. And i think the worse thing about having the starter die on me this time is that i did not washer the undercarriage lately, so when i was pulling the starter, every mud/dirt pie on the frame and springs fell into my eyes/ears and mouth. Not to fun. Makes me want to move out the muddy areas to places where there are only rocks and no mud.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 04:23 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Autozone told me 5 replacements was lifetime. (then they refund your money!) After the second or third time I took my starter back, they insisted that I had bought a "new" starter and they gave me a new one for the replacement. I told them I didn't think so but that is what they had on the computer for some reason so I didn't argue with them. No problems since. It might be worth the extra bucks to just buy a new one and be done with it. Your right, reman starters suck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 06:13 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Well I got the lifetime warrenty (3 replacements) and they gave me a new starter

<hr></blockquote>

If you have an Autozone in your area, they wil replace a lifetime warrenty part as many times as it breaks.

I agree with you on quality of reman parts, I'm on my 3rd master cylinder in 6 monthes and it's leaking again.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 07:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

I guess it depends on the mood of the parts guy at the time. The last time I took my starter back to Auto Zone(number two) they told me the next time all they could do is a refund. I worked at Advance Auto for a few months and thier official company policy was after the third time the customer is given a refund, but if a refund of replacement part was given depended a lot on what the part was and if it had actually failed or had worn out.

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode