SOA welding +geometry - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOA welding +geometry

I've read quite a few posts on here about the whole SOA thing, but I'm curious about what type of welding rod you guys use to weld the steering knuckles back on with (7018?).

Also, how do you figure out what angle to set the pinion at?I assume you would need that angle before setting the caster on the knuckles?

I have a chance to buy a full size Cherokee and I have an old set of '75 Suburban axles laying in the garage, thought I might try to do an SOA and put all the '79 Cherokee drive train in it as well(360,4speed). Hoping to go with 36" tires,so maybe the 2" lift I have now, these springs would work?
Thanks for any response
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 10:19 AM
ArkyCrawler

Re: SOA welding +geometry

Good questions, Mudjumper! I'm gonna do this next month and I haven't been able to find this out as well, if you figure it out let us know.

good luck.

Steve

83 CJ-7/chevy 350/44-20 with lockers/4"lift/33x12.5 swampers on hellcats/9500 ramsey. I'm in LOVE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 10:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

when welding the knuckles back on, user a knickle rod to weld the cast knuckles to the mild steel tubes. they are a press fit, so dont worry about it going on straight.
setting the pinion takes a little time. you must put the axle in the jeep and have the drivetrain all in it. for the front axle, aim the pinion right at the output of the transfer case MAKE SURE WEIGHT IS ON THE JEEP.if the frame is on jacks, it will throw off the angles. once you set the spring perches so that the pinion angle is correct, then set your caster angle to 8 degrees. some folks say less than that, but since you pointed the pinion right at the x-fer case anyway, you can always lessen the caster by pointing the pinion down slightly with shims;.
I like the drivetrain thoughts you are putting together. chevu axles have 6 degrees of caster from the factory and they are SOA. 2" springs and SOA will be good for 36" tires (maybe just a bit tall... good for 38's later)

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So really I guess getting the pinion set first would be best. Then I could pull the axle back out and deal with the caster issue. Since I haven't bought the Cherokee yet, I'm unsure of its axle dimensions, but I was hoping they wouldn't be to wide. It is a '79 with the flared wheel wells.
But you are right the Suburban axles are already SOA and if the Cherokee is to wide I might as well use the Suburban axle.
Also I still have the SM465 and 205 transfercase. I'm wondering what the difference in the length is from this set up to the t-18/D20 of the Cherokee. Maybe it would be easier to go all Chevy instead of all Jeep? or some combo of each?
Thanks for the help!

thanks
Bob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in a very similar situation with almost the same parts. I've read that the flared FSJ have a wider track than the Cherokees without the flared wheel wells. So I thinking of going with the Chevy drive train.

Supposedly Moser can shorten both axles for around $100, so either way that isn't bad.

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode