Wagoneer V-8,tranny,etc. into a YJ?(kinda long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wagoneer V-8,tranny,etc. into a YJ?(kinda long)

I have seen posts about this before. I just drove over the pass 150 miles and my 88yj's weberized 4.2L is running extremely bad. Mechanic said that it has blow-by in the # 6 cylinder which has a compression of 10, way to low. It isn't the rings(put oil in the cylinder,nothing). The mechanic I had look at it said I might as well buy a new(well used) engine because of the cost of parts and trouble for me to fix it. I can get a waggie for under a grand with everything there(running???) but I was wondering what year I should go for to get the best and easiest swap. Since I would be going to a V-8(306?), would I need to use the wag's tranny too or would the v8 bolt up? I have the stock YJ auto now. Well I guess I should be asking would this even work? I want a v8 but not something huge to weight down the front of the Jeep. Any other swap suggestions are welcome too. Thanks for the help.
Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:05 PM

Re: Wagoneer V-8,tranny,etc. into a YJ?(kinda long)

The TF-999 transmission in your Wrangler should handle a 360 just fine. An '80s 360 would be the best swap since they also used a Torque-Flight transmission and will have the correct flywheel/flexplate and torque-converter right there. Swapping the TF-727 from the GWagon along with the engine makes for a pretty simple installation- your NP-231 should bolt right up (I believe all x-cases behind automatics had 23-spline input shafts, even before '90). '86 or newer GWagon axles are the ones you would want to swap in since there is no vacuum disconnect crap on the front end.

I've got a 727 from an '86 Grand Wagoneer, the NP-208 from an '81 J-10, a pair of D44s from another '86 Grand Wagoneer (not yet installed), and I'm looking at getting a 360 from either a '79 full-size Cherokee or another '80s Grand Wagoneer... and it all bolts together ('cept the axles of course)

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are talkin pearls my friend. Just what I wanted to hear. Would I have to fab up some new engine mounts? Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:28 PM

Well, I haven't gotten around to the V-8 swap yet. I've been told (and a few people on here have done it) that you can keep the stock mounts if you "notch the passenger side mount to fit". I can't get a more detailed explanation on it but they say it is pretty self-evident when you get around to it.

Unless you are lifting the Jeep you can probably even keep your current driveshafts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes.. it would be a great swap.. look for a 80 or newer wagoneer/grandwagoneer... and check the front axle..and make sure it doesnt have any vacuum lines going to funky looking square thing.. the engine will pretty much bolt in... the notching of the pass. side mount.. is.. that you need to put a slot in the center of it.. instead of the holes it has now.. easily done with a 4" grinder.. that allows the engine to drop in.. then just use some big washers on the nut side..
when you get enough time.. and money.. you could put the rest of the drivetrain in it..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel injected or carbureted? Exhaust system? I have a 4 inch lift(need to update my profile) and 33's. Will this have any affect on the driveability, ie. driveline, gearing, etc.? Thanks for the replies!
Tim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 10:04 PM

Keep an eye on the rest of your drivetrain, axles u-joints ect. Besides what has been mentioned that's all I can think of.

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 12:54 AM

If you are taking it to a mechanic to get the engine checked out can you do the swap or are you paying a shop to do it? I would vote for the do it your self swap even if you don't have experiance or tools, you could probably get all the tools you need for under a grand (most likely less than the leghbor) and you will get the experiance of doing the swap. There have been a fair amount of people on this board that have done things like axle swap, engine/ tranny swaps, and lift kits having done no more than change the oil on thier rig. If you use the axles to waggy axles (which would be a good idea) you will need new wheels. Also if you got an older waggy you might be able to install the t-case and axles in it and won't have to worry about the diff moving to the other side of the jeep (though i could be wrong on this one) and the auto trannies offered in the earlier waggys usually have q-tec t-cases and off set rear out puts (which is nice though some q-tecs don't have low range and it's not the most loved t-case, though it can be made to work just like a regular t-case).

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 04:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey thanks to all ye who have replied. Greatly appreciated. I'm thinkin late 80's g-waggie to get the axles too.
Tim

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also, I will be doing all the engine installation myself. What other components will I need to buy besides what would regularily come stock on a G-waggie? p.s. I made it home safe, without any problems from my engine, thanks to ya'll who helped me with my problem.
Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode