Air Condition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Air Condition

Guys I have an after market air condition kit installed in my CJ7. Although many may laugh but it gets hot as [censored] here in Florida. Anyway after the installation I notice the alternator which now is on top of the ac compressor is way too close to the radiator hose. In factor when hitting ruts in the road or trail it cuts my radiator hose, which isnt good. Anyone had to deal with a kit like this from JC witney? All suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 03:50 PM

Re: Air Condition

I installed an after market unit from Arizona mobile air and had kind of the same problem. One day all my coolant was spraying all over. The upper coolant hose I had was for a YJ without air. I bought a new for a Yj with air and it was shaped differently to clear the compressor. Actually they brought out about three different hoses all supposedly for the same application but shaped differently. I bought them all and returned the ones I didnt need.

91 wrangler 4.0 SOA,All borla,jet chip,rancho 9000s in cab random tech, M.O.R.E. steering kit, K&N, accel coil,sloted drilled rotors,four wheel disc, add a leaf,wrangler dual bat in cab optimas,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 04:05 PM

I have OBA, but experienced the same problems as you are. I have played with different hoses, cutting them different ways, etc, but was never happy with the lack of clearance.
Then I noticed there seem to be 2 sets of mounting holes for the radiator in the grill. I simply removed the radiator, move the nut plates up to the next set of holes, and re-installed the radiator. This relocated the rad about an inch higher in the grill, providing enough clearnce to the hose.
I had a friend who used the same holes in his grill, but drilled new ones in the radiator brackets. Either way, same result.

Bob in Ma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know I had considered lifting the radiator to compensate for the alternator. Then I noticed that the newer jeeps have alternators with no external fans on the alternator. Which would work fine except when you go to buy one without the core. Theres a $60.00 core charge on top of the cost of the alternator which is $109.00. Thanks for responding I think I will look for those two mounting holes if they arent there then I will comense to drilling!!! Thanks a bunch...

By the way how's the weath up there? Got any snow yet? I miss the snow sometimes... :-)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 02:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a cheap fix:

On newer Dodge rams, like mine, with 318s or 360s, the water nec comes off the intake between the alternator and the a/c compressor, then makes a 90* bend and travels about a foot before another 90* bend. It rubs on the plastic fan shroud, and it would have a hole in it, but Chrysler put this....meshlike material over the hose...its a stiff kinda black plastic stuff, like knitted...i cant explain it. you must know someone with a late model dodge, or go to a dealer and look at a 2001 or older to see what i mean. the piece they use is only 6" long and i cant imagine it costing more than a quarter....good luck!

-remy

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 05:42 PM

There are two different hoses available for a a CJ, if you buy the hose for a Jeep with AC, it will be shaped different.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode