SOA CJ Axle Wrap Traction Bar Question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOA CJ Axle Wrap Traction Bar Question.

Hi Ya'll. I have a '76 SOA CJ5 on CJ stock height springs. Could you guys with SOA CJ's tell me what experience you've had with traction bars for rear axle wrap? It appears that the Sams Offroad or Parts Mike triangulated ladder bars would work well. Any before and after stories would be appreciated. Thanks, Marc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 12:27 AM
nxcj

Re: SOA CJ Axle Wrap Traction Bar Question.

I'm still planning mine but a couple buddies have been the guinea pigs. Welded to the tubes = bent tube...the current method that seems tough is to weld a brace over the center section (tube or box). Then take the traction bar off of that to a cross member that is near the t-case skid plate.....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i built my own off of the sam's design. it works great and the shackle at the forward end allows full articulation yet prevents wrap. i had alot of problems with wrap when i went soa. i have tried alot of different setups and either they didn't work or they limited flex. the sam's design is definalty the way to go. hint though make it and it's mounts beefy. those thing got through alot of stress. especally with v8 power.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 10:50 AM
ArkyCrawler

do a search for h8's axle wrap bar. He has a good design and it won't cost ya a arm and a leg and a toe.

83 CJ-7/chevy 350/44-20 with lockers/4"lift/33x12.5 swampers on hellcats/9500 ramsey. I'm in LOVE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 11:11 AM
Pooh-Bah

I have tried the single bar, and some other styles that didn't work for me. I made one ala the Sam's design for the CJ7 and it works great. I used heim joints at all three ends, but they aren't needed at the axle end. I was doing a frame off and wanted to be able to adjust for pinion angle, length, mounting options, etc. for when the body went on plus I already had them lying around so I used them. The front frame mounting point uses a large weld on heim joint from a tractor, with a shackle between it and the bar. As far as stories, I didn't have one on the CJ5 and I "s" bent two sets of springs (usually the first or second run on them) on the CJ7 I have the t-bar and have not "s" bent them yet, acceleration is improved, and the pinion isn't trying to walk itself around anymore.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-635242-tbarside.jpg (53.3 KB, 4 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PBM-Great photo! Any possibility of more detailed shots showing how the ends are done and how it's all mounted etc?I mean i can figure it out but it's always good to see how someone else did something. Btw- your apperant pinion angle suggests you are running a non cv shaft.Is it possible you'll be excedding the safe working angle range of your u joints or do you have all that figured out?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 04:13 PM
Pooh-Bah

Here is the only other photo I have at the moment, I used some shock mount tabs on the housing, front has a tractor heim joint welded to the crossmember, with a some flat plate for the shackle. Yes, I am using a non-cv shaft (had problems running them in my CJ5) the driveline angle is 22deg right now. The pinion was raised a bit since that photo, once the tub, top,cage, seats, batteries, winch & all the other weight was added in I set it to match the t-case. I haven't had any problems with it, and it doesn't vibrate at all. I can get some photo's of the front mount if you want to see them as well.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-635410-Tbar.jpg (79.6 KB, 3 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 06:48 PM

I like the idea of using shock mounts for attaching the bar to the housing.. very ingenious.. i have been pondering how to do that myself. Thanks pat. any more pics would be appreciated.

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 04:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

PBM- I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you changed the pinion angle after this photo.Even if your perches were not yet welded,(which was good thinking)(or did you use caster wedges?)the bar appears finished.You must have changed the mounting height of the front end of the bar??Also- I really like your idea of welding to the housing rather than to an axle tube.I've heard stories of guys whose housings have rotated cause they welded to a tube and they had only pressed in tubes(i guess not welded in)I have the stock 76 cj axles,(which ithink i recall have the tubes welded to the housing in those little peep holes on the housing hubs) although i have installed the warn full float kit.I chose the option of not installing the grease seals, so my rear end lube is also in the axle tubes and bearings.What i'm getting at is -my jeep is complete and usable. ?can i weld on to my housing without hurting anything?I have no grease seals,but my bearings are right there.? ? ? Nother question-have you guys with soa's done anything to retain the original pinion snubber effect on the front axle, or is wrap not a problem on the front?I have driven my jeep for a year since we built it, and because my wrap is so violent i have'nt even tried to figure out how much if any is from the front.Thanks all!! Marc

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 04:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh duuuuh....I just figured out that your two rear joints are threaded so you could adjust tha angle.me not so smart. mArcK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode