D60 Disassembly problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

D60 Disassembly problems

I am trying to get this sucker apart but have run into some problems.

The spindle won't budge. I have been hitting it with a mallot or a bfh and a block of wood. I have used lots of PB Blaster. No joy. I want to try some heat from my torch but am a little leary (sp?).

The bottom kingpin cover won't budge. I understand it has a shaft attached to it that must slide out. I have done the same as for the spindle and wan tto heat this up also.

Do I need to worry about over heating these components? Or the surrounding parts.

Any hints on removing these pieces in general?

Is there a manual online somewhere? I haven't been able to locate one.

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: D60 Disassembly problems

with the bottom king pin cap use a hammer and punch to spin it. spin it until the edge of the cap is about half way over one of the bolt holes in the knuckle. you then use a screw driver or drivers to pry it out. with the cap over the holes you can stick the screw driver down into the hole and pry up on the cap.

as for the spindle, where are you hitting it? i always put one of the spindal nuts back on and just hit it with the hammer.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Taking the knuckles off a dana 30 last spring I used a steering/pitman arm separator tool. Similiar to a tie rod end separator but larger and wider. It worked pretty good. Just not sure if its wide enough for the joint on a dana 60.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

gmc350, he is talking about king pin caps. i think you misunderstood.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:59 PM
jeepfiend

You can safely put a little heat on the knuckle. If you are already going into the king pins, I wouldn't worry about the heat. Don't get it so hot that it turns red or anything, but a little heat goes a long ways when getting rusty assemblies apart. Focus the heat on the knuckle and not the spindle and I think it should help tremendously. Can you get behind the spingle with a block of wood and hit it from their? I have used a slide hammer for stuborn spindles. Just screw the nuts on and clamp the slide hammer to the nuts. The bigger the slide hammer the better. Heat and impacts can take anything apart.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. High5 was the first response and was right on the money. With the nut on the spindle and a few blows from a 3lb hammer it was off. The lower cap took a little work but came off with a 1/4 turn and some prying.

What was funny was it literally took me all day to strip the first side. Lame, I know! But with interuptions, chasing spindle nut sockets and other stuff, I wasn't progressing as fast as I would have thought. I have a neighbor who lives vicariously through my Jeep mods, who was teasing me about how long it was taking. I bet him a case that I could strip the other side in less than 45 minutes. He agreed. Off I went, having a clue helps. I stripped it down in 40 minutes. Not bad after having three Bacardi and Cokes!

Tomorrow I will pull the carrier and cut it down.

A question though. I still need to remove the bearing race, cap & the top cone. What is the easiest way to do this?

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-635078-DSC00101a.JPG (18.4 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 02:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'm glad i could help. boy a dana60 front sure is a pretty sight!

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode