32RH 30RH anyone know anything about 'em? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

32RH 30RH anyone know anything about \'em?

I went to the dealer with, what I thought was, the need for a band adjustment on my ' 02 TJ SE. Sencond gear would engage late and disengage early (classic band adjustment problem). When I arrived at the dealership the service rep (write up person) said "you don't have bands ..you have a 42RE ..no bands in it. Well after a little reserch I found out that the 42RE is a 4 speed OD. I'm missing a couple of things ...the 4th gear and the OD selector on the shifter. Obviously I don't have a 42RE. After a little more work (like really looking at the invoice sticker realizing that 30RH wasn't an option code) I found that I have a 30RH. Jeep tech has virually nothing about this trans. Is it a POS ..is it this ..is it that...???

Does anyone know anything about this auto. It apparently has nothing to do with the 904/999 torqueflites of the past..or so I'm led to believe. Who has the fat or skinny on this box?

Any help?

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:05 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: 32RH 30RH anyone know anything about \'em?

I don't know a lot... it's an updated and rennamed TF-904 and I assume lots of parts cross.

Has it got bands? your guess is as good as mine...

Is it a poor transmission? Not IMHO, it should be pretty good, it's on the light side. So agressive wheeling and big tires will kill it pretty quikly.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When Chrysler names a Tranny, they dont pull the name out of their butt....i remember reading a chart somewhere about their system.

This works for THEIR tranny's only, not NVG or anyone else.
The first digit is the number of speeds. 3 is a 3 speed, 4 a 4 speed, and 5 for 5 speed.
The second digit is the DUTY of the transmission. the lower the number (0), the lighter the duty. the higher number, i think they go up to 8, the stronger the tranny is. The scale is progressive. Ram1500s have a 46RE, while 2500 and 3500s use a 47RE.
The "R" means automatic...
And the "E" is for Electronic.

Thats about the extent of my knowledge.

SO! What have we learned today? a 32RE would be a 3 speed level 2 tranny (fairly weak), automatic, electronically controlled. I wouldnt be running Big tires or towing a lot with that trans, but in its stock form, Chrysler 3 speed autos have a bulletproof reputation...remember the TF727 that lived behind the 426HEMI?

Hope this helped.
-Remy

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I assume that there was some truth in the service writers rhetoric when he said "no bands in it". The service tech fixed the problem by adjusting the throttle position linkage....and that's all. That should have changed when it shifted but not how it shifted if it was a band adjustment ...or so I reason. Then again many of the paradynes that I have held as fact have been shattered by industry changes.
I'm leary of contemporary autos. I was hoping that since DC didn't seem interested too much in CAFE ratings (in Jeeps) that it would leave a fairly decent auto in the Jeep line. Most of the rest of the known rolling population of vehicles are way too light duty and way too sophisiticated to be a real value to the consumer. A typical late model OD auto rebuild is between $1700-2500. Who cares if it got .03 mpg more than a heavier or less sophisticated auto....$1700 can buy a lot of fuel. I'll just have to hope that I get lucky.......massive cooler ...maybe auxillary filter.

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:22 PM

its an electronically controlled Tf tranny, either a 904, or 999.

it most likely has a lock up converter, and that is controlled by the computer.

Id guess and say it has bands.

you can always crawl under and look, the Tf trannys have one band thats adjusted outside the tranny [pan, and one inside,

my sister used to have a 97 TJ, it was 6cyl auto, and it had a tf tranny, it looked identical to the pan on my 1980 Jeep cherokee (727)

dont argue with teh dealer, just tell them to fix the damn thing

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:26 PM
Can't Get Enough

30RH is a 3 speed, Rear wheel drive, Hydrolic.

32RH is a larger 3 speed rear wheel drive, Hydrolic.

42RE is a 4 speed, Rear wheel drive, Electronic.

44RE is a larger 4 speed, Rear wheel drive, Electronic.

45RFE is a true 5 speed automatic, Rear wheel dirve, Electronic. Go Figure?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

John ...long time no "text" to [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Thanks!!!...now I need to find out if the 30RH and the 32RH share the same case. That is, is the 32RH a beefed up 30RH or is it a totally different box? Somehow I know I'm going to fall victim to this thing no matter how I drive it. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Thanks again
GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What I've learned today is that I wish I had a 32RH because my 30RH is more of a weakling and will probably need even more service.

Well ....I guess I can look forward to relearning the internals of an automatic (sometime in the future). Heck older TF and Ford autos were fairly simple and easy (some GM autos had a PITA integrated valve body which made reassembly a wee bit annoying compared to the other two manufacturers).

Why can't we get what we want?

Thanks much!!!

GeeAea

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, as opposed to earlier 4 banger autos the '01 and 02 TJ do have a lock up torque converter. I was actually hoping that it didn't. My 92 Caravan held up until 84k miles and the lock up converter decided to share some of it's clutch material with the rest of the trans. It cost me a few $$$$ ..but would have been much more if it had been a 4 speed od as opposed to the simpler 3 speed lockup (the base Caravan trans was actually originally designed for the horizon ..or so I'm told).

I'll hang under it and see if there's any band adjustment ..the dealer insists no....but like you said. I may trace out the pan and see what older gasket matches it (I'd like to get a higher capacity pan).

Thanks for the input!

GeeAea

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 11:25 AM
utahjeepr

It has bands, but I'd check the throttle valve linkage adjustment first.

http://www.carsoft.ru/repair/gid/30rh.pdf look here for some detail on the operation of the tranny.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode