4Wheel Parts Wholesalers and gears ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
BMB
Veteran

4Wheel Parts Wholesalers and gears ??

I noticed a couple of people here weren't that happy with 4WParts. Does anyone else have the same bad experiences with them. I needed to get a new set of gears and was planning on getting them from them. They quoted me, in person, the best price so far. The quote was for Genuine Gears with a lifetime warranty. Some were recomending Precision Gears, but that is what I will be replacing after some teeth sheared off a relatively low milage non abused set. Precision only offers a 90 day warranty too. I can order and pick them up in person, so I doubt they would be able to "pull one over" on me. Thoughts.

BMB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers and gears ??

I've only been to one a handful of times, but I've never had a problem with them. Pretty helpful, and ALOT better than another 4x4 place in my area!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

they have a lifetime waranty on their gears suposidly no questions asked if you have a problem with them. call randy's r&p too. when i was looking for prices a while back they had the best price.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

I buy from them all of the time. I have even been to their store in Ohio and was treated great.

I have only good to say about them. If it ain't right, I think they will give you back your money.

87YJ
Every mod cost cash twice.
once for the mod and once for what you find out
you want to do next.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I guess my experiences have been isolated ones.The 4Wheel store I have delt with was nothing more than a glorified Wal-Mart automotive section.And they were genuine gears not superior, I apologize, Those around me have had a really hard time setting them up. Some of the shops around here charge extra if you use genuine gears or a similar product. My main gripe though is the fact that they are no longer carrying gears and axles from anyone but genuine gear.As a side note the one helpful sales rep I did find told me to buy my gears somewhere else, as the quality of their gears were lacking

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:32 PM

They buy there gears from any supplier that can manufacturee thma to their specs(whatever that might be) and for their price. Then they package them in their own packaging. I have always had good luck with their gears, and have never had any shops say anything bad about them.
I have always had good service through them, and they honor their warranties. I dont like ordering from their 800 number though, because the success of my order, is reliant on a person that I can not glare at across a counter, later, as we discuss my disatisfaction.
I sure do like theyre prices though, the phone sales guy will match anything you can find anywhere.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 12:13 AM

I will never go back to them for anything. I bought a set of one-piece axles for my AMC 20 and I was very specific about the offset pumpkin and they gave me the wrong ones. I took them back the same day and the guy told me they donít carry them so I wanted my money back. I paid in cash and I was told you would have to wait for the corporate office to send you a check. I waited for 3 weeks for the money. Thatís BSÖ

A guy at work just had a lift kit, new gears, locked, yoke and rims & tires installed and he had a bad vibration that they canít fix. This has been going on since July and they finally gave up and he is taking it to another shop (MIT) to get it fixed on their dime.

Personally I would waste your time with them. Find the part from some else.

PS Anyone need some slightly used set of 1-piece axle for a AMC 20 / quadra-trac.

78 CJ7 304V8,TH400,Dana 300 Twin stick,Custom HD-WT AMC20 detroit locker 4:10,D30 ez-locker 4:10,Built NOT Bought.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:14 AM
scram

I have had mixed luck. i got a set of tires from them and they never showed. Called them and they said they havent been shipped. Calld them 2 days later to c if they had shiped, they said my tires were delivered. TO WRONG ADDRESS
Called them back 2 days later they said That was wrong and they werent shipped. After 34 Days i got my tires. They were supposed to be balanced and they were not.
I also got some good luck with them other times.
Isnt drivetrain warehouse related to them? I have spent $1000's through them over the years for various rigs and have never even came close to a problem. they even have given me stuff. <font color=blue>Scram</font color=blue>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 10:03 AM
utahjeepr

Well, I have stated my experiences and most people know how I feel about 4wpw. But just in case there is any doubt. If all other 4x4 parts outlets went out of business and 4wpw was the only place left to get parts, I'd rather quit Jeeping than to ever deal with them again.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 11:13 AM

I as well as many others here have had nightmarish ordeals with 4wheel parts. I would recommend Randy's ring & pinion. There you are dealing with guys that know gears and gear sets. They are a common point of technical reference and have always been very competitive on their pricing.

http://www.ring-pinion.com

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode