rear main seal help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

rear main seal help!!

I am currently in the garage trying to change the rear main seal. The engine is on an engine stand upside down and the oil pan is off. I took off the 2 big bolts closest to the rear main but am lost at this point. I don't know what to undo to get to the actual seal. please help. Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Chrome don't get ya Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 04:52 PM

Re: rear main seal help!!

Lightly tap the rear main cap with a hammer until it comes off. Be careful not to damage the crank or bearing. Half of the rear main seal will be in the cap you just took off and the other half will be in the block.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT/D30/AMC20
Front D44, OBA in process.
JeepChicks: 1996 and 1997
JeepDude: coming in March, 2002
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

thanks for the help. The new top is installed. Now the question is what do I loosen to get the bottom out of the block? More of the 13/16 bolts or the smaller bolts?? How many pairs will I have to loosen?? I would jjust try it but since I have never done it before I don't want to mess anything up. thanks Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Chrome don't get ya Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 05:57 PM
firetruck41

Just did this...

I just did this last week with the engine in my Scrambler. I loosened (not removed) all the bolts that hold the bearing caps, then took a nail punch and drove the seal out from one side out the other. Just be careful with the punch, make sure you don't destroy the crankshaft or block with it. I've heard you should use a brass punch, but I couldn't find one so I was just real careful with a nail punch. There is metal inside the seal and this is what you want to "punch" out. It took a while to get it to budge, but once it did it was easy.
I'd never done anything like it before so I'm no pro, but it worked, and the leak stopped!

Ben
1982 Scrambler 258, T-4 (blown), d300, stock

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 05:59 PM

You want to rotate the upper part of the seal (that is in the block) around the crankshaft to get it out. Tap one side of the seal with a screwdriver and hammer enough to get a grip on the opposite side with a pair of pliers. Rotate the seal around 180 degees with the pliers until is is all the way out.

Make sure you lube the new one up well so it doesn't get scratched when you install it. The install is just the reverse of removal - rotate it around the crank. Make sure the new seal is oriented correctly.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT/D30/AMC20
Front D44, OBA in process.
JeepChicks: 1996 and 1997
JeepDude: coming in March, 2002
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 06:16 PM
cj80carr

Mike you only have to loosen the main caps not the rod caps. You may only have to loosen a couple from the back towards the front. Take a small brass punch small enough that it will only touch the metal surface of the old seal. lightly tap one end of the seal and the other end will pop up out of the block grab the stub with a pair of pliers and pull it out. I spray some a little carb cleaner in where the seal goes to clean out any crud left in there. take the new seal half and oil it up good with light oil I have even used dish soap it works good. Slip the seal in with the lip or sharp edge of the rubber facing foward push all the way around. Clean off all the excess oil with carb cleaner, put some RTV sealer, just a little - on each half of the surface. Put the cap back on. And torque everything back to specs. Hope this helps you out :-)
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode