INSTALLING SMITTY BLUIT FRONT HOOP. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

INSTALLING SMITTY BLUIT FRONT HOOP.

I am starting my front hoop intall tonight. as i see it i have two options,
1. i can use a angle and weld it to one leg and attach the other to the the dash, or
2. take it to the floor.
i am attaching to the old rear fender mounted roll bar with 4 spreaders. after i tack it all in place i will take the whole thing out and weld it up. This would make the dash option easyr but is it the best way?

gdm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 04:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: INSTALLING SMITTY BLUIT FRONT HOOP.

Take it to the floor, then tie it into the frame. Use the four spreaders to go from main hoop to the new front hoop. Heres a couple of mine utilizing the front Smitty hoop and 4 spreaders on the top. I tacked it all togther with my hardtop on, took it out to weld it all up.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-634637-53-603669-Side.jpg (75.2 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

i have been told that if i can not take the main bar to the frame , then neither of them should be. in the event of a bad roll the body could seperate from the frame at that point i could lose all protection. is this true?

gdm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 04:30 PM
Pooh-Bah

On my Cj5 I had the main bar and front bar tied into the frame since the floors were very rusty, loose, bad, etc. On the CJ7 I have it tied to the frame under the hood, dash hoop, main hoop and rears. If the floors are sound you could get away with mounting the plates right to it, for me I go to the frame. Go back awhile in the search, and you will find some great posts going back and forth about the body/frame separating and related items. When I rolled, I was glad I had the cage tied into the frame.

<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 06:21 PM

PBM, you say you have it tied to the frame under the hood..
any pictures?

I want to do the full cage deal, but I don't want to compromise the E-break avaliability, or ingress exgress stituation.

I was thinking about taking it to the dash, where the bolts for the winsheild are, they seem pretty sound..
(YJ)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i personally feel to the floor and then stringers to the frame is the better setup. you should see the cowl of my cj and how it is bent and this would probably deter you from using it as a mounting point

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:06 PM
Pooh-Bah

Here are the tubes that go forwards from the dash hoop to the frame under the hood. The shock tower is tied to it, then another removeable bar goes across in front of the engine to tie the towere togther as well. I took out the factory heater, and run an under dash one, no e-brake either, just the line lock if needed. The dash hoop is tied to the frame with some "outriggers", middle tie in is a short piece of tube of the top of the framerail to a plate that is thru bolted, rears have a large "J" welded to the frame, and a plate thru bolted at the top. As far as entry/exit, I didn't like how far back the Smitty hoop for my application sat back from the dash, so I cut two sections of the dash out so the hopp can go forwards more, gave me another 2-3" of clearance to swing my feet out.
Here is what the under hood part looks like

and the passenger side inside

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-634831-shockmount.jpg (53.5 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 03:23 AM

Your E-Break is on a 4th pedal right?
With a release right above it?

How does that work out with the cage?
Every time someone mentions cage, I get all these radical ideas going through my head.
The Jeep is a daily driver, so having a hard time getting in, or a hard time getting at the e-break is a no-no..
I can handle loosing the glove compartment, because it's only got insurance papers in it.
The visors can be re-located.
Getting in and out, and getting to the e-break are my only requests.
Most people say.. "Ya it's fine but the e-break is difficult to use."
That doesn't really work for me.

I like the idea of moving it forwards 2-3" into the dash, I think I could handle that.

Got some hard doors? how do the winders fare?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:29 AM

about the e brake, if you dont set the front hoop to far forward, you can unscrew the plastic handle for the e brake and cut more than half of the threads off for it and still use it. getting to the pedal is also easy if you dont push the cage to far forward. peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Pooh-Bah

Andrew is right about the e-brake still being functional with the cage in the normal place. My e-brake was rusted solid, and I knew I was going to use a linelock for holding on hills, so I took out my e-brake all together, for a DD you will probably want to keep it. Seems to me you would only have to angle your foot around the down tube to push the pedal down. I do have a hardtop and full hard doors that fit w/o a problem. With the dash hoop moved forwards I can roll the windows up/down with the door shut and the stock window cranks. This is not a DD, so I was more concerned about overall function of the cage, losing the e-brake/factory heater doesn't bother me, having the windows work with the stock cranks isn't that big of a deal eihter since I rarely run doors. Doing the Smitty hoop should be fine for e-brake access and entry/exit, ask Andrew (Rice701), he just got done doing one and could probably give you more info how his works since it would be more caparable to what you are looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode