industrial motor starters OT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

industrial motor starters OT

While visiting my grandparents over the holidays my grandfather showed me his shop full of surplus stuff he has aquired thru the years, and asked If I could help him try and sell some of it.

there are ALOT of Square D Nema size 3 starters with the breakers on teh bottom of them ( over $600 new) the screw terminals show that theve never been wired in.

alot of pneumatic cylinders ( ive been envisioning some Jeep/shop projects with these)
2.5 inch bore 6 inch stroke double acting, used but working.

hundreds of eagkle signal relays

lots of Square D 3 pole 100 amp molded case breakers, never wired up.

My question is where would I look to sell some of this stuff?

ive looked on ebay and it moves a few of these type things but gramps has ALOT of this stuff.

any ideas? any one need some of this stuff?

thanks for any help and sorry for teh off topicness.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:23 PM

Re: industrial motor starters OT

I'd be interested in the air cylinders and a 100 horsepower electric motor starter if you have one that big...

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

the starter I brought home to photo says up to 50 HP at 380/480/575 VAC

its a NEMA size 3

he also has some elec motors 25-50 hp

and several of these air cylinders, they are "mosier" model# J1277b1
sn 51076-0.01

Ill try and get some pics of teh cylinders for you Aaron, ive got some on teh 35MM but not developed yet, Ill get some webcam photos and also call gramps and ask about a 100 HP starter.

Ill email you later with some pics and if he has a larger starter.

please keep inmind I dont know that much about this stuff, I can give model numbers and read specs, but I really dont fully understand the applications or wiring.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

also alot of New in the box timer controllers.

OzarkJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:53 PM
I Do This For The Glory

It should be a NEMA "Type", here is a listing of the types that are NEMA rated.

Type 1...General Purpose...Indoor use where no oil, water, or dust is present.
Type 2...Drip Tight...INdoor use where minimal dripping moisture occurs.
Type 3...Rain Tight...Outside use for protection against snow, rain, and sleet.
Type 4...Water Tight...Outside usefor protection against massive amounts of water, such as hosing.
Type 5...Dust Tight...Protection againstt dust.
Type 9...Dust Tight...Protection against dusts that are combustible.
Type 12...Industrial...Protection against oil, coolants, lints, and a variety of dusts.

I have worked with a TON of NEMA 4X enclosures, which are designed to withstand just about anything you can throw at them.

I'm not an electrical guru by any stretch, I have just worked with them and installed a ton of electric motors for my job.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Teamrush!
check your email! if you dont have 2 from me please email me, because Im too stupid to figure out your email address.

also found some size 1 and zero NEMA starters square D brand, some are strapped together for a reversing starter.

OzarkJeep

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 12:36 AM

The chimps at excite have decided to keep me from getting my e-mail....

Send me something on private here... I usually check it daily.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 12:55 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Just to clear the size/type issue up, motor starters are rated by NEMA size, the enclosures are rated by type (see below). Unfortunately, what you have is for big motors such as used for plant air compressors, air makeup houses, big pumps and the like.

Some other problems are the brand, most people I deal with use Allen-Bradley. I expect the warranties are long expired so any reputable panel shop would not touch them. That $600 you quoted is the list price not the sale price. Everybody gets a discount multiplier, for moderate users I think it's in the neighborhood of 0.58 or 58% of list and includes delivery to their door.

A company I used to work for, and still do time to time, was in the automotive conveyor business. They had bunches of this stuff lying around in Allen-Bradley in the size 1 & 2. For inventory this stuff was valued at 5 to 10 cents on the dollar, about 5 years later they auctioned it off to employees. None of it sold for much and the rest was thrown in a dumpster.

You need to look for end users and be ready to take pennies on the dollar. You might try making a list and sending it to the Plant Engineer of any factories in the area and maybe the local water treatment plant. See if Gramps knows any end users in the area.

I'm sorry if I burst your bubble but you should know were you are bargaining from rather than pass up a realistic offer by thinking it's worth more than it is. I sincerely hope this is not Grandpa's 401k.

Size 00
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 9 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 1.5 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 1.5 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 2 HP

Size 0
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 18 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 3 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 3 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 5 HP

Size 1
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 27 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 7.5 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 7.5 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 10 HP

Size 2
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 45 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 10 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 15 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 25 HP

Size 3
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 90 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 25 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 30 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 50 HP

Size 4
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 135 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 40 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 50 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 100 HP

Size 5
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 270 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 75 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 100 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 200 HP

Size 6
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 540 A
200 VAC Horsepower = 150 HP
230 VAC Horsepower = 200 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 400 HP

Size 7
NEMA Continuous Amp Rating = 810 A
230 VAC Horsepower = 300 HP
460/575 VAC Horsepower = 600 HP

NEMA Type Enclosures

Type 1. General Purpose: For general purpose applications indoors and where atmospheric
conditions are normal, designed to prevent accidental contact with current carrying parts of the
equipment. A Type 1 enclosure serves as a protection against dust and light, undirected splashing,
but is not dust-tight.

Type 2. Drip Tight: Similar to general purpose type, with shields added to protect against
dripping. Construction as to exclude falling moisture or dirt. A Type 2 enclosure is suitable for
application where condensation may be severe such as is encountered in cooling rooms or laundries.

Type 3. Weather Resistant: For use where exposed to rain or sleet and on docks, canal locks
and in subways or tunnels.

Type 4. Watertight: For use outdoors or where equipment might be subjected to splashing,
dripping or hose directed stream of water. A Type 4 enclosure is suitable for application outdoors
on ship docks and in dairies, breweries, etc.

Type 5. Dust-Tight: Prevents entry of dusts into controllers used in such non-hazardous areas as
cement mills, steel mills and coke plants, where dust or lint would interfere with the operation of the
controller.

Type 6. Submersible: For use where the unit might be submerged in water, as in mines, quarries
and manholes.

Type 7. Hazardous Locations: For use in Class I, Groups A, B, C or D hazardous locations
containing gases. Divisions I and II are included.

Type 8. Hazardous Locations: Similar to Type 7 except that the contacts are immersed in oil.
Intended for use for hazardous gases are corrosive.

Type 9. Hazardous Dust-Tight: For use in Class II, Groups E, F or G hazardous locations such
as flour mills, grain elevators or textile mills.

Type 10. Bureau of Mines: For use in coal mines. This enclosure is designed to meet the
explosion-proof requirements of the U.S. Bureau of Mines. It is suitable for use in gaseous mines.

Type 12. Industrial Use: Enclosures designed for use in automotive and other industrial plants, to
protect equipment against dirt and oil by preventing seepage of infiltration and keeping lint fibers and
flyings out of the controller. This type of enclosure has found wide application as a substitute for
Type 1 enclosures and is mandatory in the JIC Electrical Standards for Industrial Equipment.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

gramps is just cleaning out the shop, not cashing in his retirement!

I got the ballpark prices out of graingerfor General Elecrtic componenets ( gramps said Square D would sell a littel higher)

and there is some allen bradley stuff there also.

so your saying someone could order a new size 3 or 4 starter from grainger for approx 50% of the prioce stated int eh grainger catalog?

OzarkJeep

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I was talking about an electrical parts house using the prices in an AB or Square D catalog, but yes I'm saying SOMEBODY probably would get the same at Granger, but I also said about 58% for a moderate user. That's not for just ANYBODY that walks in off the street either. I saved a lot on some schedule 80 pipe I bought from Granger for my side nerf bars. The company I was working for ordered it for me and saved me like 45% and if I had bought it myself, I'd have had to pay the shipping or pick it up myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode