yet another heater idea - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

yet another heater idea

i was thinking that you could seal off the inlet for outside air then just remove that flapper type door that is used for the vent so all the air would be pulled from inside the cab. that way instead of heating 20 degree outside air you'd be starting with air that is already warm. i'm not sure if this would be a problem when trying to defrost the windshield or not. anyone ever try this? any thoughts?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:41 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: yet another heater idea

The basic idea is sound, except for one little detail. The problem is that when you recirculate inside air you're breathing... and that adds humidity. As you re-circulate... and recirculate... you never get rid of the humidity. Pretty soon it'll be raining inside the tub. Dew'll be haning off the roll bar, and you'll have to squeegee the inside of the windshield. Using the outside air as a mix will help to lessen the humidity problem. In "modern" cars this problem is eliminated by running the recirculated air through the AC to de-humidify the air.

This is one fix that works... but use undersanding the problem. I don't recommend it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

do you really think that the jeep tub it that air tight that you wouldn't get ANY fresh air? i'm not trying to butt heads with you, i'm just asking. i think that you'd still get enough outside air. jeeps are definitely not air tight (atleast mine isn't) for example with the heater on, you are continually pumping air into the jeep. where does it go? it leaks out the holes. right? so don't you think these holes would give you enough outside air? tell me what you think.

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:17 AM
Way Outta Control

You have a good point. A holey Jeep will echange air quite fast at highway speeds.

A tub can be made to be quite air tight to maximize heat retention and the air can become stale. In fact I've worried a bit about Carbon Monoxide posioning and keep a little aircraft CO warning button on the dash.

However, if you think you've got enough air flow then seal up the fresh air vent grill and see what happens. What's it going to hurt. Just pull off the vent and put a piec of cardboard sealed with duct tape over the vent and rplace the vent grill. It only takes 10 minutes. Give it a try and let the Fourm know the results.

Before I sealed and repaired holes on my steel tub I could keep it warm down to about 15*f as long as the Jeep was at a stop light. The minute it took off from the stop light the air rushing in the rust holes was enough to change the volume of air in the cab at least twice and the temp would drop radically. But not before humidity started to build up.

Once the holes were fixed and the tub sealed up, the cabin would contain heat quite nicely, but then the humidity became a problem that was controlled by using the fresh air vent as a mixer. This solved the problem and I could still contain the heat.

In the old days lots of people would just crack a window 1/4" when they drove in the winter for the same purpose. This kept dryer air circulating and a fog free cabin.

If you do seal the jeep up, then hopefully there is positive pressure inside the Jeeps cabin and the heated air is going out side at a slower rate than the non heated air comes in.

With most Jeeps, it's just the opposite, that the outside air rushes in in such volume that it's almost impossible to heat, and capture the heat while at the same time postivily pressurizing the cabin... only with cold air.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

I can say that LEVE's right, at least with a hardtop CJ7. I blocked off the cowl vent and the inside of the hardtop will drip after about 30 minutes of the heater on high.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

I partially block the cowl vent and it does work. The humidity problem is not as bad with a soft top, but you will have to experiment to find a happy medium.

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 12:09 AM

Just to throw this out, my wife's Plymouth has a recirc option on the heater controls. The owners manual doesn't recommend using it for extended periods due to condensation and "health reasons". It is kinda handy when driving by certain places that...ahhh....smell less than satisfactory.....It's also very nice if you get stuck behind a semi full of salmon on it's way to Anchorage and you can't pass.........

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 06:46 AM

Large caliber fire-arms work just as well for that salmon filled semi.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 12:17 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see you try THAT one in Kanada, eh. The Mounties would have fun at least.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 12:39 PM

The problem with using large caliber firearms on the semis in Alaska is that often the driver will shoot back!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode