V8 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

V8 swap

It's about time to start thinking about the V8 swap for my YJ. I'm leaning more towards a 5.0 instead of a 350. Is this a good choice? And if someone could give me a quick run down of the trannys that would mate to these engines without wallet draining adapters from AA I would appreciate it.

Regards,

JT

97 TJ
Daily Driver
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: V8 swap

Check out the motor mouts available from M.O.R.E. http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catal.../bombproof.htm
dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:29 AM

There is really no way you can get around buying an adapter if you want to use any of your stock components. The only way to avoid it would be to swap in a complete drivetrain from another vehicle.
I just finished a 5.0 swap into my CJ. I really had no prefrence between chevy or ford. I just wanted a fuel injected V8 and the 5.0 turned out to be the best deal at the time.

Check out the tranny section here at ORC. There is a lot of info there.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/2001/TechTrans.html

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I already got rid of the engine, tranny, and xfer case, so I'm willing to start from scratch. Something strong that will hold up against the 5.0 power, but not cost me an arm and a leg...

97 TJ
Daily Driver
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:07 AM

Will this jeep be driven on the highway? Do you need an over drive? If not then i'd say pull a t-18 out of an f150 and then keep the t-case that comes with it (i think it's a 208, not a bad case) or pull a jeep t-18 and get a ford bell housing from an f150 and then use a bronco d20 t-case (unless you want the drop on the other side then use a jeep t-case). ARe you planning on an axle swap? If not your stock d30/d35 arn't going to like the power alot.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was hoping to keep the axels, but I'm sure thats out of the question. I'm assuming a 44 rear and 30 front would be ok?? So a 5.0 would bolt up to a bell housing and tranny (T-18) from a F-150? And the transfer case would obviously fit. Where would the front and rear drive shafts come out? Rear would be centered? And front would be passanger or driver side??? Thanks for the info. Appreciate it

JT

97 TJ
Daily Driver
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My d-35 lasted a month when I went to a 350,and I consider myself to be a easy on the throttle tpe driver.Plan on upgrading the rear axle soon.The d-30 in the front has been fine so far.nb

87 YJ 350,nv4500 trans,SOA,35-12.50 BFG MT'S
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey rock-hog,

Ideal set up would be yours exactly. How much did you end up spending on engine, tranny, xfer case, all engine wiring, and axel?? Thanks

JT

97 TJ
Daily Driver
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All told I've spent just under 5500.00.The axle w/Detroit installed was 2000.00,the nv4500 w/all adapters was 2000.00,the engine w/rebuild,new alt&starter and radiator was 1200.00 and the labor on things I couldn't do myself was around 300.00.The tc is still my nv231 just w/sye and shaft that came w/nv4500.If I was going to do anything different it would be finding a FI engine instead of the Q-Jet carbed one,of course I would have spent more on the engine&install I think but it would probably have been worth it.nb

87 YJ 350,nv4500 trans,SOA,35-12.50 BFG MT'S
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 02:39 PM

I'd say either an 8.8 or xj d44 rear and then throw shafts from a '95 or later xj up front so you get 1 piece shafts (no front axle disconect) and 297x u-joints (same size as a d44 front). I havn't done the swap but i'm pretty sure the engine would bolt to a t-18. If you used a jeep t-18 you would have to get a ford bell housing and maybe input shaft and if you wanted to keep your drivers side pumpkin you would have to get a bronco d20 t-case (jeep d20's have pass side out put and ford t-cases have drivers side out puts), or you could swap in a ford t-18 and the t-case that came with it. As for drive shaft lengths you could mount it so the t-case is in the same place it was in w/ the factory t-case and then move the motor and tranny mounts accordingly.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode