12v Electric Motors!? Give me some ideas.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 02:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

12v Electric Motors!? Give me some ideas....

Yes its me, and I'm building more rediculous creations. I currently possess a blender, a $40 one that burnt up after 3 uses, and we threw the box out....it burnt up well over a year ago, so theres no taking it back. Anyway, Here's the plan. I need a cheap, easy to find 12v motor. I want to re-use the blender pitcher, which is like new, and power it with a 12v motor off the truck, for next spring's camping. I have an unlimited amount of time to do this, but not a lot of money....so i need suggestions. I thought about a blower motor, but i dont think they're strong enough. I converted the average blender output of 350watts to HP and its a little less than 1/2 hp. So i need something in that area. What about a power window motor with the gearcase removed? I think a winch motor would be huge overkill, and i dont want to deal with something that heavy, let alone try to find one cheap. So I'm stumped....any ideas? I have a 140 amp alternator, so no worries there....Thanks in Advance,

-Remy

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 02:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 12v Electric Motors!? Give me some ideas....

I am not sure but I think a garage door opener motor is 12v. They are usually 1/2 hp also. Plenty of them out there. Replaced mine today, plastic gears? The motor is in good shape though.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 02:50 AM
Old Hand

I saw a guy on the Rubicon last year who had a starter motor mounted to the inside of the front bumper. He had it rigged as a trail spare in the event his failed. He was mixing up frozen margaritas in a blender using ice from the cooler, and a mix.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 03:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought about using a starter off something like a dirtbike or lawnmower....but i really dont want to run that heavy of a cable from the battery to the rear of the extended cab Ram. I have a 12v marine power outlet mounted on my 2" receiver, and ran it to the batter with a 8 gauge wire and a 20amp fuse....any other suggestions? Thanks to all so far...great ideas!

mike

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

Have a shaft sticking out the bottom or side and chuck up your cordless drill. You have a cordless drill don't you???

Huh?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Last summer I needed to repair the electric motors for my power seats. The power seat motors can move the butt of a real heavy person, so I doubt an ice cube stands a chance.
dave

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:13 AM
Way Outta Control

Just remember that a lot of these motors are made to deliver torque... so if torque is what you want... go for it... but if you need torque and sustained drive be wary. Some motors are NOT built to sustain high RPM's and toqure. The wisdom is knowing which ones will do both.

After a little research... you're going to have to find a motor that will drive the blender blades a MINIMUM of 1100 RPM and go up from there to make a nice smoothie (hey, I don't drink... but I like nice fruit fapies(SP)) and chop up that ice. So, you're going to have to have both Torque and Speed in mind when you go findin' a motor.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:02 AM

most folks use an air powered die grinder ( $20 new cheaper used) and then use the ON board air to power it.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:38 AM
utahjeepr

I don't want to interfere with the creativity being shown here, but why reinvent the wheel. WalMart sells a 12V blender for around $30. Go buy it and carry a "spare" pitcher if you want to keep the old one.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Leve, you always show the clever insight that i wish i had! Do you know of an economical motor that fits that? I like the idea of the cordless drill, and yes, of course I own one. Problem is its an old Craftsman (7 years) and both battery packs no longer hold a charge. They are about $65 each, which makes it more economical to just go out and buy a new drill. But since i wont settle for anything less than a Makita or a DeWalt, i need to save up for one...I like the air powered die grinder Idea, but I dont have On Board Air, its too much trouble with a new truck, between the erpenbtine belt, the bracketry, the time, effort, etc. This is not a hardcore 4x4, just an occasional off roader to get to a good wildeness campsite.

Utah-Thanks for thw Wal-Mart idea. I didnt know they had one, probably because there isnt a Wal-Mart within 70 miles of here. But if you could do me a favor, next time you're near yours, could you get me an idea what they cost, and your opinion of its quality as a "trail tool?" I would much appreciate it, I'd hate to drive over an hour each way its it a POS.

THanks to all who contributed. Keep those ideas coming!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode