d44 with ctm joints - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

d44 with ctm joints

I am not sure here, but from what I know if one was to use ctm joints in their d44, I would think they could get away with using stock shafts. If mot stock, possibly moser shafts and have the strength necesarry to run larger than 35 inch tires without constantly grenading u-joints. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject. If you see this h8monday, I would like to know how your set up is holding up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:36 AM
utahjeepr

Re: d44 with ctm joints

To get the most strenght out of a 44 you must use alloy shafts, the stock spicer units have some inherent weaknesses. Using alloy shafts, the shafts themselves are very strong, but the 297X u-joint becomes the weak link. What you would want is alloy shafts and CTM joints. Then the axle shafts and u-joints are a pretty bulletproof assembly.

I was out Sun and a buddy was trying a really tough line and POP the 297X let go. When the u-joint failed the ear of the Warn axle shaft got bent outward and pushed the lower ball joint partially out of the knuckle. Needless to say this kind of ended the day. It would not have been an issue with the CTM joints. My buddy actually had a set, but they ended up getting loaned back to Jack and then followed a twisting trail into a white YJ. I reieved a bit of ribbing over that.

I haven't talked to Jack in a while, but he should have production going soon if he hasn't already.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply. I understand the weakness of the stock shaft, but the joint will let go first. If you were running ctm joints, would the shaft become such a limiting factor after the new ctm's would you have to upgrade your shafts also?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:15 PM

You really have to run the alloys with the CTMs.
You need to have a strong yoke for the Joint, and it needs to ba able to use full circle clips. If the stock shafts and stubs are used, they will just flex under the load, and something will let go. The strength lies in the combination of strong non flexing yokes, with extremely strong, well secured Joints. Take away any one of the strong components and your right back to where you started.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:33 PM

Okay, I'll ask. What is a CTM joint?

TJ

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

They are a super strong, u-joint made from billet unobtanium. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 01:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

How possible would it be to order alloy shafts for my front D44 with CTM joints?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to ctm's website ( http://ctmracingproducts.com/ ), sorry dont know how to make it clicky. The ctm joints for the d44 run around $150 a piece. For alloy shafts, I dont know what the consensus is concerning the best but H8monday is running warn shafts with the ctm joints and I guess they are still in one piece. I think the Warn shafts run about $250 a piece($1000 a set)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had warn shafts in my old d44 front and they were $600 for a full set.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 01:55 AM
Addict

Too much money. Just go for the new forged spicer replacements for the 297x.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode