will 3.74 Dana 30 carrier fit 4.56 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

will 3.74 Dana 30 carrier fit 4.56

I ordered 4.56 gears for my 94 YJ and 4wheel parts called me saying I needed another carrier for my Dana 30 because the 4.56 wont work with my current 3.73 carrier. Can someone confirm this before I shell out like 50 more bucks?

94 YJ. 33" General MTs 4" Pro Comp lift. Detroit in rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: will 3.74 Dana 30 carrier fit 4.56

I dont remember what the cutoff is, but you will need a new carrier.By the way the gears 4wheel parts whosalers sale are junk hard to set up and just not made very well. Spend the extra $30-50 and get precision gears.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 01:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was told that Dana Spicer made the best, and thats what i ordered from 4wheelparts. Where do yo uget precision?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I purchased my gears(precision)from 4wheel parts wholesaler. They are no longer carrying anything but superior gears and axles though.I purchase some of their old stock.Precision gears arent the only good gears out there, but my experience with them has been good.Just make sure they are not selling you superior gears. You might be getting what is left of their old stock though. Just be careful.Just curious wher do you wheel in Corpus.Nice place, but pretty flat.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:46 AM
utahjeepr

The standard cut Dana 30 carrier has a 3.73 and up (numerically) carrier break. I am not 100% sure, but I don't believe there is any difference in the carriers between the standard cut and your reverse cut. Unless the YJ's RC carrier is different your 4.56 gears should work with the carrier you have.

Be careful dealing with 4wheel parts wholestealers. I dealt with them once, and they shipped me a USED set of their piece of crap in house gears instead of the set of new dana-spicer gears I had paid for. They packaged it up nicely in a dana-spicer box hopeing I wouldn't know the difference. Be careful, they may have low prices, but they are nothing but a bunch of F'ing CROOKS.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll second making sure that you get what you paid for. A Spicer gear will have "Dana" stamped on the side of the ring gear inside a diamond. Make sure it's there.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I'm getting Dana in the rear and Precision in the front because they said that Dana didn't make a reverse 4.56 for the Dana 30. And i guess I will order the carrier, and when i'm in the gear changing process and the carrier ends up being the same, i'll just send the new one back or somthing. Thanks fellas.

Oh and by the way, Corpus Christi has a bunch of little hidden spots. Mostly we just have mud, but you can find somewhat hilly places at drain lakes and out by the oil fields.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:02 PM

Carrier breaks for the Dana 30 are 3.54 and numerically down and 3.73 and numerically up for the other.

Pigpen
76 CJ5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 11:58 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Pigpen and utah are correct on the cutoffs. You won't need a new carrier for the gear swap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode