Saginaw Steering Conversion Website is UP!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Saginaw Steering Conversion Website is UP!!

Hey guys, finally got time to put the pictures on a site.
Here it it.

www.geocities.com/higherresolutions

Cut and paste it, or if someone can make it clicky, that would be cool. Enjoy

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Saginaw Steering Conversion Website is UP!!

making it clicky
http://www.geocities.com/higherresolutions

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.dreamwater.com/ironpines
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice job Dan. My '63 has been converted already, but it's a complete hack job which I don't trust driving. I also will be converting to a GM tilt column and hanging pedals. One thing I noticed is your mention of the length difference between manual and power boxes. It's true that the manual has a longer input shaft, but the power box is longer making up the difference in the shafts. If you were to mount a manual box where your power one is the end of the input shaft would be in the exact same location.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

My buddy did a great job welding in the conversion. I did not know the power and manual boxes even with the different size shafts ended up in the same locale, thanks for that info. If you use the GM style column you might want to use the matching pedals. The pedals i am running now totally wont work with the column unless things are really fabbed. I put my pedals in after my steering conversion so i had to have the pedals off to the side. So not after i get my column sandblasted and painted I will take out the column and pedals and cut out my old firewall because it is now bent and hacked pretty good, do I will put in a thicker firewall and try to make it look factory. The power conversion is great. I just got a manual box from a buddy to us if the power one fails, but with the luxury of power steering i might not go back to manual.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:31 AM
jeepfiend

Don't forget that if you don't want a hacked up dash and that big fat column, you can use a DJ steering column. The DJ column exits the floor at the same place the stock column does, except it has a u-joint on the end. With careful routing of the shaft the DJ column can make for a really clean saginaw conversion. I plan on using the DJ column on both my CJ2 and my CJ5. I guess I am nostalgic, but I like the looks of the old skinny column.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan,

I notice that your steering set up is like a TJ that the tie-rods attach to eachother. My Cj has the tie rod from the steering box attached to the knuckle, Any difference? Is one better than the other? Thanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jersey... I couldn tell you if the tie rod setup it stronger. I copied the AA setup and realized that the tie rod with the hole cost a lot of money. It is wierd that they sell you the piece except that every older jeep has that piece on it. But i did buy the long tie rod, there was nothing laying around that could have been used.

I also like the look of the early CJ columns, that is another reason why i am converting back to the tube type, but i will sure miss the cancelling turn signals. Has anyone used a spartan turn signal with an aftermarket steering wheel? I have a sparten signal that i cleaned up real good, but i am thinking it is only to work with the original school bus wheel.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 08:38 PM
jeepfiend

I have never had a canceling turn signal on the old style jeep column. I used to drive a 66' CJ5 that had a spartan type switch, but no auto cancel. That is a disadvantage. Come to think of it, I have only had a couple of Jeeps that even had a turn signal switch. I was registering my MB and the lady asked if it had brake lights, I said "it could". I still got the registration, you gotta love Idaho.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The turn signals in my '75 are self cancelling and it's the skinny, pre GM column. I do have the big bus wheel on it still though.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The spartan turn signal is pretty neat. I pulled it apart and cleaned it up. It has a wheel that "Rides" on the bottom the steering whel and rolls the lever back into off position. I was really astonished at it. I was thinking about using it with my column but i am not using the steering bus wheel. I have one of those JCWhitney Signal stat turn signals. Works just fine but the non cancelling reall gets frustratin when you forget to turn it off and you look like an idiot driving a few miles down the road with it on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode