HELP!! I need your Axel opion and advice!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

HELP!! I need your Axel opion and advice!!!!

This week I had planned to swap the axels out of a spare CJ 7 into my CJ 7. Right now, I have the 258, T5 transmission, Dana 300 transfer case, with 4:10 gears. This give me a crawl ratio of about 43 and a highway RPM of around 2000. My plan is to install an AMC 360 with the T18 and Dana 300 transfer case. With out the over drive the 4:10 gears would give me a highway RPM around 2670 that is high but it would give me an awesome crawl ratio of 66. My plan was to switch axels that have 3.54 gears and not to mention better hubs. This combination would give me highway RPM of 2300 and a crawl ratio of 57. After to pulling the axels out of both Jeeps I realized that I had the wide track axels and I was trying to swap in narrow axels. I want to know everyone’s option because I don’t know what to do now. If I went ahead with the swap of the 3:54 would the narrow axels cause my 33 12.5’s to rub or lesson my turning radius. Is anyone running the narrow axels with 10-inch wheels and 4 inch back spacing with the 33-inch tires? Your input is greatly needed. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP!! I need your Axel opion and advice!!!!

Keep the 4.10s. 3.54s are marginal to run with 33s or bigger. Also the stability of the widetracks is important.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. But I would still have a crawl ratio of 57 thats not bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

But don't forget you'll have a wee bit of a hard time getting that thing up and moving with that high of a gear and those big of tires.

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Forget about the crawl ratio. The width is the important part and swapping to the stronger 6 bolt hubs is a half day job. Stick with what you have.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

and the narrow track axles just look gay under a lifted jeep... wiiiider is in deed better.. stick with them.. and dont worry about the gearing so much.. and rpms.. im running a t18 with 4:10's.. and 35" tires.. i cruise at 75 all day.. the engine isnt too fond of me afterwards.. but hey..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't know about your axle problem, but I would not run 10 inch wheels on 33's. That amount of backspacing will change your scrub radius enough to cause severe death wobble. I had that setup on mine for a while, after I dropped back to 8 inch wheels my death wobble disappeared. For axles wider may be better, but for wheels, narrower is better. Not to mention they will hold a bead better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode