Should I stick with 360 or go bigger?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:39 PM
Frank360

Should I stick with 360 or go bigger??

My engine is near the end of its life, although tests are needed before I judge it as such.. I fell I'm soon to come at 2 choices, to either rebuild or buy a new engine which in my case #2 is more likely since I don't have a garage.. I've informed myself and rebuilding is as expensive as buying a rebuilt.. But the little experience I attained in the jeep world is that it is usually useless to stick with what you have and alway go bigger.. So what I'm thinking is to put a 401 in there, but I'm worried that the rest of the jeep might not be strong enough to withstand such power or torque... My drivetrain is far from being new nor rebuilt recently, I don't know if the t15, dana20 and D44s will hold up to a 401 compared to the beatup 360 that I run now.. Any advice???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Should I stick with 360 or go bigger??

get a big block.. and have fun breaking everything else.. so you can then upgrade those parts.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i would trade in the 360 for a rebuilt 360... they are more common than 401's..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:51 PM
Frank360

I have two 360, so I could trade the non-working one and put the new one whithout being out of commission.. I don't know, does the 401 sound just like the 360, cause I have my testosterone to take care of also [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. im just telling you that because i have a 401.. and dont need another jeep around with one.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..
but really.. its not a big difference unless you put some work into it.. the 360 is a great engine.. especially if you have 2.. the 401 will be a bolt in.. and if its stock.. wont give you alot of gains.. but.. with some work.. ugh ugh!!
and you get to say.. "401"

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Frank360-

401 sounds better than 360 doesn't it? Well I am looking for a 401 but they are hard to find. I found one a while back but didn't have the extra cash at the time as I had just pick up a YJ that seem to good to pass on. Then the wrecking yard closed up a month later. Oh well, I may have to settle for the 360.

The only difference other than size and the HP and torque that comes with it is that the rods are forged in the 401 and cast in the 360. Unless you plan on running at high rpm it shouldn't matter which one you go with.

Good Luck!
Kirss

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:47 AM
Frank360

The more I think about it, the more undecided I become.. oh well, the deciding factor will probably be the difference in money spending.. I would like to go up to 35" tires and maybe more, little things that I know a 401 would help.. Then again, a stock 401 ain't that good anyway... Maybe I should look for performance parts and built a nasty 360 with my spare dead block.. Like the Edelbrock torque package, anybody ever played with these things?? What about yours Jeepgod, I bet you suped it up a little...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

Isn't bigger ALWAYS better?

Rick
80 CJ7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

RickB,

My thoughts exactly.

97 TJ
Daily Driver
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 09:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

actualy frank... my 401 is stock right now.. i didnt have the money to do anything to it.. and it ran.. so in it went.. but... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].. im deploying for 7 months in feb.. so.. its going in the shop while im gone.. so when i return in october.. it'll be ready to bolt back in.. im hoping to get around 475hp out of it.. 500+lbs of torque.. but we'll see.. i still need to talk to the guy.. and set things up.. make sure we are on the same lines..

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 10:14 AM
Frank360

And what kinds of money you think that's gonna be, around 2500$US.. Do you have a plan yet on what you want in it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode