Should I shorten my front D60? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Should I shorten my front D60?

I am really having a dilemma here. I pretty much wasted all day trying to reach a logical conclusion and course of action.
Here is the situation.

I recently bought a set of one ton axles. After some swapping I ended up getting a cab/chassis rear 14 bolt 62" wide and a single rear wheel full width D60 front 69" wide. I think a width difference of 7" is probably a little excessive. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I have two choices:

1. Go trade for a full width 14 bolt.

2. Shorten the d60 to match the shorter rear.

If I choose #1 I can just outboard the springs and slap the axles in. But I would then have an ultra wide rig that can really only be used for the trail. I will have to modify my trailer fenders so it will fit.

If I choose #2 It appears I can keep the same spring configuration. Just narrow the axle and move the one perch. That raises another question of how much to shorten it? I was thinking probably 5" that makes the front 64" wide. 2" wider than the rear so it can turn. That doesn't seem like much though and I wonder if it is worth the effort?

I would like to hear everyones opinion on which way to go and why. I will be running 38.5 x 14.5 sx's.

TIA

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Should I shorten my front D60?

take the front and shorten both sides 3".. should bolt right in.. alot of work.. but its worth it.. (i just dont dig the ultra wide look).. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i run a 62" cab and chassis dually 14bolt and i narrowed my 69" chevy dana60 front 3.5" on each side. this lost the additional 7" that the front had and put them both at 62" wide. i run 15x10" steel wheels with 3.5" of bs. on them i have a set of 38.5x14.5 tsl sx's. i can tell you that you will still be quite wide. i like the width and for the areas i run full with would be a hinderance in spots. the 62" axles give you wide but not too wide. cutting the housing down isn't that big of a deal and then you just send the inner shafts to moser and have them cut down 3.5" shipping and all was just over $100 for both shafts. run them 62". just my op.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 07:24 PM

IMO, Run them the way the are, that's how I have mine and it work great. Even with the full width, the 38'5s just clear the springs and when compressed to the stops(SOA, Humvee wheels)they just touch the inside fenderwell. I have no real front fenders so I can't comment on that clearance. The front being wider then the back is good(IMO), in very tight turns the rear tires will track very close to the same line as the front tires. If you want to narrow the track some, use a deep backspaced wheel, I use Humvee wheels 8.25 wide w/ 7.5 backspacing, this requires custom steering arms and really messes with the scrub radius but works good on the trails and occasional on road driving. The front to back track difference works very good in mud and sand also(straight line), the rear tire isn't in the rut made by the front.

The front track width on mine is 79.5 to the outside of the tires w/38.5x14.5 SXs, just enough for an 80 inch wide trailer( which i hope to have soon[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

These wheels(as you most likely know) are two piece with an internal beadlock that locks both inner and outer beads, just another low cost option that fixes a few problem at once.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I am waiting on delivery of some beadlocks right now. They should be here anytime. I ordered them with 4.25" BS. So that choice has been made.
I had originally planned on being full width until I got the c/c rear. Now I am really having second thoughts. I hate to lose that occasional cruise around town on a nice day.

I have to make a decision tonight. I will not burn another day off without any progress. (I did get to play with the kids quite a bit today, so it wasn't wasted.)

I am leaning towards cutting it down. Are there any tricks I need to know before I start?

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just used a chop saw. i completely dissassembled the housing. scribed a line down the "C" on the end and then onto the tube. this will allow you to line it back up properly when you reinstall the "C". i measured 3.5" (make sure you measure the whole tube and not just up to the "C". the "c" is pressed onto the tube so the tube is almost all the way through the "C". once you have measured once, twice, and three times cut the tube. you willl then thake the "C" with the remaining tube still attached over to a vice and have at the weld with a grinder. you will have to go deep because the welds have lots of penetration. once you can distingush a definate separation (it is just a ring all the way around the diameter) it is ready to be pressed out. once it is out you can take the "C" and put it back onto the tube still left on the housing. make sure to use your scribe marks to line it up. you can either use a big press or a bfh to reinstall onto the tube. then all you have to do is weld, install cut down shaft and reassemble. same for both sides. easy as that.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oopps! i just noticed that you have a cj. what front end is in ot now? are your front springs outboarded? if not you will probably want to narrow it a bit differently. i had already outboarded the springs on my cj and the springs matched up perfectly to the chevy perches so i left them. this way i narrowed both sides the same and the springs stayed the same. if you havn't already you will want/need to remove different lengths from each side to get the front to be even under the cj and keep the springs in the stock location. i will say that it is kinda nice having the front springs ouboarded though. reason being that the 60 pumpkin is so big that it will help keep the d/shaft away from the tranny. this is especally helpful when running an auto.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Running the stock D30 upfront. The springs haven't been outboarded.

I was taking some measurements and it looks like if I just narrow the drivers side of the axle 4-5" and move the perch in, I can use the existing spring locations.

Will that work?

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes. you will end up with the front a bit wider than the rear but you will only have to have one shaft cut down this way. if i remember right 4" off the long side will allow you to have the pass side spring line up with the cast in perch on the housing. you will havve to move the one on the d/side but the front will be centered. like i said 4" "IF" i remember right. i could be wrong. it's been a while

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

the fact that I would only taking 4" off is what made me ponder bothering to do it at all. It seems like a lot of work with out a lot of results.

If I narrow the whole thing 6" and outboard the springs, how would this beast turn? I thought the rule of thumb is 2" wider for good tracking? It will be locked or welded.

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode