Valve Cover Install - need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Valve Cover Install - need help

I got a used Clifford valve cover off of an early 80's CJ to put on my 87 YJ. I was told it would work except for a hole at the back that needed tapped. I got the old one off, and it appeared that all of the holes would line up (the Clifford has less holes though). So I get it up there and the 2 hols on the driver side on the cover are just a little too far apart to get the bolts to go in. Is is okay to bore these out a little on the cover to bring the holes together more? Also, there's a little brass bolt thing that screws into the head at the back on the drivers side, I had to take that off to get the valve cover on, and in the process it broke, what is it? There's a purple wire that attaches to it.

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:52 PM

Re: Valve Cover Install - need help

The little brass thing is the temperature sending unit, something you want to replace. Why did you need to take it out to get the valve cover off. I've replaced my valve cover gasket 3 times and have never had to take it out? Just curious.

88 YJ:4.2 I6 TR upgrade and MC2100
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I had to take it off so I could move the valve cover a little. I went ahead and got it on there. I bored the holes on the cover a little but it wasn't enough to get all of the bolts in. On the passenger side I got all 3 bolts in, the one at the back, but only 1 in the driver side and none in the front. The one on the drivers side was more towards the front, but there's still a long space in between the bolts. I don't know if its going to work or not. I've got the old valve cover in case it doesn't.

I just looked at the hole for the sending unit and there's no way I can put it back where it was. I might try and make an extention and put the sending unit on that way, the edge of the valve cover goes right up to the hole.

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast

I just looked at the instructions that came with my 4WD valve cover that I put on my 87 258 and it says that the valve cover is for an 81 to 87 CJ.

If it is from 81 or newer it should work. Check the year, you may have one from to early (they were different)

87YJ
Every mod cost cash twice.
once for the mod and once for what you find out
you want to do next.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

If I can keep it sealed and figure out how to get the temp sending unit put back in, I think it will work. Is there somewhere else I can mount the temp sending unit?

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode