Peugeot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Peugeot

I have a busted Peugeot transmission and they are WAY too expensive and light duty to get another one. I have a 258 4.2L '89 Wrangler and I was wondering if the AX-15 will bolt on and if it won't I was wondering if the AX-5 or the T-5 would bolt on. (I am a HS Student w/ almost no $$ and my parents never help me w/ anything I own.....) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I am a fairly new jeeper, but I won't be jeepin anymore until I get another tranny so please help!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 09:56 PM

Re: Peugeot

AX-15 can work. Get the belhousing with it. Also get the transfer case (sell yours to recover some of the cost) because the transfercase input is different - I think 21 spline on BA-10 to NP231 and 23 spline on AX-15 to NP231.

T-5 can also work. Get the Bellhousing. You will also need a NP231 transfercase (23 spline input) from adifferent YJ (or TJ) as the T-5 was mated to a D300 wqhich is passenger side drop. Then you will need a spacer or something of the like to fit the NP231 to the T-5.

Either way you are way better off than the BA-10.

Using a T-5 would probably be lowest cost as the transmission itself is cheaper. The AX-15 next and BA-10 most $$$ but cost would be kinda close for all three, I think.

Advance Adapters sells the World Class T-5 in a kit that will bolt to your YJ. The kit is not cheap but quality is good.

also - Both the T-4 (same as T-5 only 4spd) and the SR4 (lighter duty than T-4/5 but better than BA-10) will fit in same plase as a T-5 and are cheaper yet.

I don't know about the AX-5. I don't think it is a good option as it is lighter duty. I think it has 21 spline output but the bellhousing pattern is different or something like that... I just remember being told it will not work behind the 4.2L. Sorry I can't help much here.

Cheapest might be to hunt salvage yards for a swap... find a Jeep T-150 bellhousing. This is a stock Jeep item and will allow any Ford transmission to bolt to your 4.2L. Get the Ford transmission and transfer case and save many dollars in adaptors.

Those are the cheapest ideas that I have off the top. If you can do the work yourself you will save much dollars.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:58 PM

I blew up my BA-10 too and have replaced the transmission and transfer-case now. You can get a new 23-spline input shaft from 4-wheel parts hardware for your NP-231 to make it work with better transmissions.

I sold mine for $100 (which was pretty cheap) and bought an NP-208 from a full-size Jeep truck for $150. It has a 23-spline input, fixed rear yolk (32 spline output shaft!) and has the 'standard' 6-lug circular bolt pattern used since 1980. Decreased my ground clearance by 2" though because I had to cut a big hole in the skid-plate to let it hang though (much larger x-case!)

The BA-10 I junked and replaced with a TF-727 automatic from an '80s Grand Wagoneer. I used the torque converter from a 360 (since I'll be upgrading to a 360 soon enough) and the flex-plate from an '80s CJ-7 with the 258/TF-999 combo to get it to work. I used part of the kick-down linkage (slightly modified with pliers) from a '76 DJ-5d (232/TF-727 combo), and the starter (1.5 times the size of the old one) from an '86 Grand Wagoneer.

The stock front driveshaft actually had to be shortened just a little bit to work. The rear driveshaft was a shortened unit from an '86 Cherokee with Select-Trac (which that year was an NP-228).

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 03:47 AM

are you sure you have the Peugeot Trans?

they started putting the AX-15 in mid year 1989. my jeep has the AX-15. it's easy to check, the Peugeot has a vertically split case, that runs the length of the Trans. just slide under ( use proper precautions)and look.

1989 jeep YJ,4.2L,5spd
room a zoom zoom!!!!!!!!
http://hometown.aol.com/gouldvolts/jeep/jeep.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode