O/T?...Garage Heater Suggestions needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

O/T?...Garage Heater Suggestions needed

I have a 24'x24' garage that I would like to find a way to heat, and am looking for some suggestions. I am not looking for around the clock heat, just maybe 4 or 5 hours at a time a couple of days a week. I am not wanting it so warm that I can wear a t-shirt...just something to make a workable temp. when it is in the single digits outside. Do the salamanders work as good as advertised, and are they practical for a garage? How about space heaters? I am looking to spend less than $200. Is this a practical amount? If things would have went the way they should, the jeep would have been running before the cold weather, and I wouldn't have to worry about heat!! .....thanks, Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Re: O/T?...Garage Heater Suggestions needed

How high of BTU's should I look for?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:55 PM

Pick up a used wood stove. They are cheap and heat very well in a space that size.

If you can't burn in your area, check out the ventless natural gas heaters. They run about $150-$180. They have thermostats and can also run on propane.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT/D30/AMC20
Front D44, OBA in process.
JeepChicks: 1996 and 1997
JeepDude: coming in March, 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:55 PM
jeepfiend

Can you run a woodburner in your neighborhood? I would look for an old Blazeking woodburning stove. The Blazekings have a coulple of ducts in the top with a forced air fan and can heat a relatively large space fairly easily. Really any woodburner would work for that space, especially if you have a fan to circulate the air. The only problem with wood stoves are the burning regulations in place in so many communities. You might even look for a stove that can burn lump coal. We used to burn lump coal in the Blazeking, and a couple of big lumps would burn for almost 24 hrs. The salamanders put out a ton of heat, but they are noisy and they stink. My dad used to have his shop in an equipment shed and he heated the work bench area with a salamander. Hanging propane heaters (catalytic type) work good too, a couple hundred gallons of propane can last all winter with careful thermostat settings. Electric space heaters will cost a fortune if you try to heat the whole space, but probably would not be too bad for small areas like a workbench area. You may need to spend a little more than $200 for any of the options, but I think it can be done in that range. If you really want to save coin on the heat bill, make sure you are well insulated. Be stingy with keeping what heat you do have in the building. Insulation is a long term investment, but it will pay off. Especially with the uncertain fuel prices we are always faced with.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I`ve been looking at this same scenario for 2 years now . My research tells me a ceiling mounted "radiant" system works best but costs lots . What I bought ? A 220Volt , 4800 watt construction heater . That thing cranks big time and being on 220V it is efficient . My garage is 25 X 14 with cold cement floor [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and it heats it up in no time . Cost me 75 bucks CAN , about a buck and a half US[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . Here are the specs and a good picture, these are in Adobe format :http://www.dimplex.com/wholesale/Chr...lish/Dch_c.pdf

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

no, a wood stove is not really an option. I am allowed to burn here, but I just don't want the hassle of wood, and I don't have a lot of space to store the wood to burn....thanks for the ideas so far!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

I have to plug the ventless gas logs also. A buddy installed a set several years ago and now heats his entire house with them (wander around in shorts most all the time there). Most are rated at 100,000+BTU and are pretty economical. Don't have a fireplace in the garage? Some cinderblocks stacked in the corner might work.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
(Now "Moss-less" & looking for a name)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:41 PM

We used to use that cheap propane blast heater in our 3 bay garage. It's the one that Northern sells and you attach a propane tank to it. We would put it on for a few minutes at a time, definitely did the trick and was cheap.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:51 PM
Pooh-Bah

I used to use on of those Kerosene heaters (little smaller than a garbage can) in my parents 3 car garage, that worked good. Now I need to find something to heat my carport. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepfiend made a very good point in his post. INSULATE the garage, you won't believe the difference. My attached oversize 2 car garage is insulated and sheetrocked, I can be comfortable in winter at night with a small electric heater, and its been getting to right near zero at night.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode