Given up on 2000 swap, new ??'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Given up on 2000 swap, new ??\'s

Well, I found a great deal on a 91 Cherokee with an AX-15 and a 4.0, couldn't pass it up.(This is Jeep #7 now!!)
Some of you might remember I am in the process of rebuilding a Scrambler to be a DD for my wife, and I had bought a 2000 XJ engine with the complete FI and computer for a good deal.
After adding up how much it would cost me in extras to make it work, (o2 sensors, new vibration dampner, fuel pump, regulator) the older injection makes alot more sense. OBDII is a real hassle to retrofit if you dont have EVERYTHING.
I'm gonna swap the tranny, and the complete fuel injection setup and wiring harness into the Scrambler on the 2000 engine, and get rid of the 2000 injection and computer. Then I'll part out the rest of the XJ.
Another bonus is I now have a spare 4.0 long block I can mix and match with my 4.2 and get a stroker out of the deal for MY CJ-7.....
Here's my questions....
1) Can I use the older injection on the newer intake manifold? This would save me from swapping the manifold, and it looks better
2) Can I use the newer distributer with the older computer? Same reasons as above.
3) Can I use the newer flywheel with the older injection? Would save me a R&R and a resurfacing..
4)Anyone know how to remove the upper shifter from the AX-15 transmission??

Bob in Ma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 09:56 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Given up on 2000 swap, new ??\'s

Shoot Bob, I thought you could get it to work.

1) If the throttle bodies from a pre '95 will fit, I would use it. It is suppose to flow better.

2) The cam angle sensor (dist.) is different. The older ones use a 8 volt vref, as does the cps. Newer ones use a 5 vref. I would change it.

3) I think the flywheels are the same, but the piliot bushings are unique on the '91's and the crank is different because of this.

4) If you mean the shifter from the tower, push the tin retainer in and CCW 1/4 turn. If you mean the square shaped shifter from the lower part, forget it. It won't even come apart with the tool.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I kinda hate to give up on it, too(I'm a stubborn SOB) but I think this is for the best...
QUOTE:
3) I think the flywheels are the same, but the piliot bushings are unique on the '91's and the crank is different because of this.

Hmmm..I hope this doesn't mean I have to swap the cranks to use the 91 AX-15 tranny on the 2K engine, or change the input shaft .. Wouldn't I be able to get a special pilot bushing?

Bob in Ma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 11:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

You should be able to find a piliot bushing, or have one made. The '91's were smaller. Swapping the other way may be a problem. I know people that put a '91 tranny into a newer engine with a different bushing. When you get it apart just pay attention to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode