Advice prepping cage for paint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Advice prepping cage for paint

Hey all,

Thanks to Rice701, I'm getting ready to install my new cage. Before I get it back in though, I need to paint it. I'm prepping it now, and need some advice.

I'm going to paint it fire-engine red, using Rustoleum Professional grade paint (the stuff comes in the taller silver cans). I've used this on a couple of accessories and it is satisfactory.

The question is: The cage is currently stripped to bare metal (knotted wire wheel brush), what should I do to prep it for the most durable paint job? Should I put a primer coat on first, or just go on and put the main coats on? If I do put a primer on, how long to let it outgas before I do the main coats? Any other tips/tricks would be appreciated.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:57 AM

Re: Advice prepping cage for paint

I don't know about paint, but a couple of years ago I had one powder coated for a K-5 at Millers Custom Coating in Lilburn. Really nice, and not expensive!

1977 CJ-7
258/3speed T-150
2.5"lift
and lots of duct tape
<><
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:16 PM

Hey dude, on my winch plate i used some of rustoleums zinc primer stuff and then used some of there black paint. Its really hard paint now and wont chip off. If it were my cage id use that or some other type of primer but i wouldnt do it without the primer. We did a few coats of the primer(tells how quickly to reaply) and then a few coats of final paint(also tells you on can how quickly to reaply). Have fun dude, when you wanna get together next to work on it again? peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:34 PM
Little_W

I wipe down the metal with mineral spirits before any paint goes on to get rid of all the oily residue that might be on the steel. Mineral spirits and rags are cheap, I use a lot of both cleaning the steel. Paint doesn't stick to oil, grease, gas or finger prints.

Primer always. What does your paint manufacturer recommend? It's on the can. Use it - 3 light coats, read the can for drying times between coats. Can will also give you the drying time before final finish is applied. Remember LIGHT coats of primer are M U C H better than thick coats. Keep a rag, damp with mineral spirits, handy to wipe any runs. If you're putting on light coats there will be no paint runs,
.Hold the spray can the proper distance away from the metal - again read the can.

Finish paint. Again light coats. Sometimes they recommend a light sanding between coats on gloss paint. I use 0000 steel wool instead of wet/dry paper between coats for my painting. My first coat of finish usually is light enough to allow the primer color to just show through.

Probably the real painters on this board have a better way of doing it.
The above works for me.
All the best.
w

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 06:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Tell you what works great for my projects involving bare metal . Wipe it down good with de-greaser and then get some metal etch primer , spray can stuff works great . Follow directions on the can . If it`s something you want to look extra good , sand the metal etch primer with some 600 grit after , re apply de-greaser and paint . Did it this way with my front bumper and wowsers , looked great !! Good Luck .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 09:15 PM

JeepZilla has it! Primer (self etching on bare metal), wetsand with between 400 and 600 grit paper(careful not to sand all the way through to the metal. Dry and clean with mineral spirits (we used laquer thinner on one rag and wip dry with another immediately), tac cloth and your ready to paint. Tac cloth is not really necessary. As mentioned before, lighter coats are best. If its applied too heavy, it wont cure properly and it could shrink or crack(not to mention run). Good luck.

TJ

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am going to triple what jeepzilla said. Self etching primer, sand, then the top coat. I have been using self etching primer for a couple of years now and it kicks butt. For coat thickness of primer, you should be able to see the writing of a news paper though it but not be able to read it. That is what my body man taught me and i have never had a problem.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hey, I'm about 7 miles away if you can use a hand. Even if you don't need a hand, maybe we can hookup for a few hours.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
(Now "Moss-less" & looking for a name)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

CaverDave,

You've got mail, sent it to you earlier, but shot outta the house before I grabbed your cell#. Didn't get home at what I thought might be a "decent" hour, will try you in the morning, we're looking at cranking up around 11:00 or so at my place in Lawrenceville (near Discover Mills).

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode