carb tuning - bending float? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

carb tuning - bending float?

i have a rochester on my 258 and it seems to want to load up at low rpms, also going down hills it has a slight backfire. i have the mixture screws set about as lean as possible to still idle ok, so i was told the float needs to be adjusted. how do i know when i have it where it needs to be, any kinds of tests to do? i am not carb literate, so tak eit easy on me.....thanks all

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: carb tuning - bending float?

You measure your float height by inverting the carb and letting the float rest against the float valve, then measure from the carb body to the bottom of the float (the bottom is what will be at the top with the carb inverted). I would recommend trying lowering the float in 1/16" increments, you just bend the tab that rests against the float valve.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:31 PM
sentinel

I agree with Creeper, since you have to take the carb off anyway, you might as well rebuild it while your at it. A rebuild kit is very cheap and it comes with a guide to set the floats right. Don't worry if you don't know anything about carbs, I did mine myself and I'm glad I did. they're not as bad as you think. Good luck.

Jeep enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

the carb is a holley-reman and it is less than 1 year old, so i don't think a rebuild is needed. i understand how to bend the float and how to measure, my question is how do i test to know that i finally have it right? just go down a hill and see if it still backfires? any other ways to tell?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode