Body Lift Debate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 09:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body Lift Debate

I have noticed in the past a small debate over the use, function, and visual appeal of body lift kits for the CJ. i am in the process of removing the body from the frame of my 83 CJ. i had given this quite a bit of thought prior to beginning the removal and of course i had the usual broken bolts and spinning caged nuts (its an 83).
Here is my point, i remembered some people complaining that the body lift may weaken the TUB by lifting it away form the frame. i contemplated sqare tube stock to fill any spaces left after about a 1-2" lift. after looking closely the only place the tub touches or is attached to the frame is at the body mounts---so what difference does it make to the flexibility or weakness of the TUB if you don't lift it or lift it 3+ inches.

i think this comes down to asthetics and personal preference
any comments

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
Bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Body Lift Debate

I think the main problem is that the bodylifts flex which puts stress on the body.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok i can see that especially as you go up towards the 3" mark.
anyone used the spring under the rubber mount mod that showed up again a few months back???????
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've experimented with a few frame off build ups on different cj's. on three of them this is what we've done, on the first(mine)i noted all measurements at the locations,then whacked off all the supports and welded 6x8x1/2 angle in their places but raised 2". then drilled 1 1/4 hole and installed original sized bushings. on the second we installed 2x3 box tubing on top of original mounts drilled hole , installed same style bushings, the third we used 3" channel on top of mounts for a 1 1/2 lift useing original height bushings. our line of B.S. was that the longer pucks and bolts may have given others that unwanted body roll feeling and by keeping that shorter may help. it seems to have done what we thought and have not seen any adverse affects mine has been wheeled with that mod for maybe 4 years.

taco
78cj7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have had a 3" body lift on my jeep for 11 1/2 years now so i kinda know what i am talking about. is it the best way to lift?..no. can it be a good way?... yes. i was 16 years old when i bought and installed the b/l on my jeep. my jeep had no rust and was in perfect shape. i was a poor hs student and that was the only lift i could afford so that is what i got so i could clear a set of 33's. well my jeep has gone through major changes in the past 11.5 years and the 3" body lift is still on. my jeep has been bashed, thrashed, trashed, etc and i have had no problems with the bodylift. i have even had a hard roll last spring and it didn't wimper. yes if you put a body lift on a rusted out pos you can have problems but other wise they work. they also give you more room to tuck your d/train, exhaust, etc. up into the frame rails. with all of that said, if you can get by with out it i would.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:08 AM

3" seems a little extreme..

IF you do it right, replace the pucks instead of adding on. (Like the previous owner of my Jeep did.) then you should be ok.

I belive the general consensace on here is 1" is fine, 2" is good if it's well done. 3" if your desperate, and anymore is asking for disaster.

if you think about it, how much leverage do you have to put on a Grade 5 bolt to make it shear/bend?

Now you say.. "Oh, but you have the mechanical advantage of a lever/wrench/breaker-bar.
Well, your Jeep may not have that mechanical advantage, but your tub sure has a hell of alot more weight then your arm can put out..
Just think about the kenetic energy. Your cooking along at 60-70MPH, and then the frame stops rather suddenly in an emergency break.. stress IS put on the bolts. (Even Grade 8 bolts.) Eventually you will run into trouble. Do it a few times too many... you get the idea.

So. 1" is fine, most of us have that.. 2" is ok if it's done properly.
Personally.. If I were to do lifts all over again?
I'd go SOA with 2.5" springs, and a 2" body lift. That should be plenty to clear 35/38's..
Beats the SUA 2" shackle, 2" body, 2 odd suspention combo on 33's I have now..

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 02:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what i like to ask of the critic's of body lifts is how many have they seen fail? if so was it properly installed or some rigged up body lift? was it a good body or a rusted out pos? i personally have never seen a body lift fail. i have never seen the body bolts sheer off due to stress. i can not imagine a case that hard breaking would cause a body lift bolt to fail. if the bolts are tightend down so the body does not have any excess play your body bolts will not break from hard braking. like i said i have rolled my jeep hard(with my "desperate" 3" b/l)and didn't break any body bolts so i very seriously doubt braking would cause it.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 04:53 AM

Bob, I installed a 3" body lift on my 1984 CJ-7, and a friends 1977 CJ-5. This was back in 1988. Today, the CJ-5 still has the lift installed, it's a clean Jeep, never driven in winter, but, it's seen over 30,000 off-road only miles in the last 12-13 years and has never had a problem regarding the body lift. My CJ-7 wasn't a toy like his and was used all year. I ran that Jeep until 1997 and it had over 140,000 miles on the clock, body was shot, engine was shot, frame was shot, and it was starting to sag because of rusty body, body mounts, but, thats almost 10 years and 110,000 miles on the lift with no problems, not bad for a $70 purchase. Your profile states that the Jeep was just painted and your running 33's. A 2" body lift would probably be fine as long as your springs/shackles give you the additional 2-3" of lift needed for the tires. I wouldn't be afraid of the lift, the only downside is it will raise your center of gravity/ride height, where cutting/trimming and running TJ flares will give you the clearance without changing this.

"It's not ugly! It just has a lot of "Character"!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 07:16 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have a 3" body lift and have not had any "additional stress" issues and this is with a fiberglass tub. Although I agree, the gaps are ugly.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:06 PM

i've had a 2" on my YJ since 1993, no problems and i'd do it again, as far a body shifting on the frame from stresses or bolts shearing, i sandwhiched the body on all the frame tie-ins for my roll cage.
also, i like the extra room it makes for eng/tranny etc... swaps or whatever, and it's easyer to clean everything.

but they can look pretty cheesy. my winch hides the front and a bumper i made hides the gap left in the rear [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode