Axles... 44's? or 60?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axles... 44\'s? or 60??

I am thinking of doing Dana 44's front and rear on a CJ7. My question is... Can this set up run 35x14.50 boggers (Will have a SOA w/ YJ springs, I am interested in the one on the off-road.com/jeep site)... Actually I am just trying to gather info on the set up that would be best suit my needs. It's going to be a weekend and night driver and of course on the trailer... Is the Dana 44 front and rear a good set up? Is the 60 for the rear an overkill? I would then run into full size and have to either run full size axles or shorten them correct?... Anyways any information would be very helpful. I am planning on buying a jeep sometime this summer so I am just trying to gather info and learn quickly :-)

I also was looking around and saw Disc brake conversions for them. Does anyone have any experience or any write ups that would give me a better feel of what I might have to do.

any info would be great!

Post here or you can e-mail. Either way works great! Thanks

Coe Parker-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Axles... 44\'s? or 60??

I say go with a set of 44's. I'm running 35x1250 BFG's on my YJ with this setup. I got 4.56 gears and Detroits. Unfortunetly I haven't had the chance to wheel it yet I say if you're going much bigger, slap a 60 out back. The 44 up from should handle just about all your needs IMO.

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 07:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

for 35" tires d44's would be good.. what you want to keep in mind..is how wide.. and how much work/money you want to put into this.. the lesser in both catagories would be some wagoneer axles.. they are wider than what you have but not too wide... 62-63" wide range.. still able to keep them street legal..
for axles.. you would want a 1974-1979 front axle from a wagoneer.. and a rear axle from 1974-1991.. but keep in mind.. most 1974-1979 rear axles are offset to the passenger side for the quadratrac setup.. the 1980-1986 rear axles are AMC 20's.. but they are one piece axles.. and thicker tubes.. than the cj versions.. 1986-1991 full size grand wagoneers will have d44's..
i say this option for several reasons.. one.. you do not have to cut them down unless you really want too.. 2 if you get a front and rear axle from the same vehicle.. or version of one.. better chances of having the same gear ratio.. unless you plan on going with new gears.. (which you might have too anyways.. since most of these came with crappy gears).. they will be the same width as one another.. same lug pattern.. (6 lug)...
do a search on this website for more info.. been hashed over a thousand times.. also.. check out.. http://www.shortwheelbase.com under the tech info.. and you can check out my link on the front axle setup..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:55 PM
Little_W

Coe,
This clicky will help you with the 44 front's steering, very detailed.

http://billavista.tripod.com/Steerin...gresearch.html

Good luck
w

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:11 PM
Veteran

Wow! Thats a great article!

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 09:17 PM

Yeah that is one of the best D44 steering and swap sites Ive ever seen. There was even some pics of my set up,(damn I do good work).
He will soon be adding these new D44 steering arms, that allow for a rear tie rod set up, much like the one that Pyro runs on his D60. This is a slick design, and solves many problems often associated with SOA steering geometry, when the front axle is moved forward more than a couple of inches. Eric Ruhl designed these arms, for a one off fabrication, to solve his own D44 steering issues. But he has turned the drawings over to a couple of manufacturers, who may begin turning them out. Bob Roggy, owner of Roggy Enterprises, and a long time ARCA competitor has agreed to fab me a set next week, but said he wasnt sure when he will begin manufacturing them in quantity. I also have no idea what they will cost. We will be wheeling together, and ringing in the new year down at the hammers this weekend, so Ill try to pry some more info out of him.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm running ScoutII 44s on my CJ with 409 gears, Detroit lockers and 35 12.50s. 75 to 80 have the 1pc axles. No need to cut them down, perfect for a CJ IMHO. When I go to a bigger tire (one of these days) I may swap in a 60. The 44s have have held up well for me. Do a search, tons of great info on this board.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:44 AM

Those arms are pretty cute on that little 44[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but really, that's a very nice setup, seen it over on the POR board.

Back to topic, After going through many axles over the years, my opinion is to put the biggest, strongest axles that you can fit(if you have to cut them down, then cut them). Spend your money one time on a set of big axles and they'll be the last ones you buy.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree with w.c. do it once do it right. you can break d44's with a v8 and 35's. ask me how i know.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 04:41 PM

What's your budget like? If you won't have the cash for d60's right away (i doubt you could do a d60 swap for less than 2 grand and that's if you got them w/ 4.10's form a yard, didn't have to narrow then and welded them, more likely it will be 3-4 grand for d 60's w/ detriots, gears, steering, axle narrowing, new brakes) I'd say get 1 piece axles for the rear, find some used gears, get a spare d30 front axle for parts, weld up the rear and throw a lock right up front and save your cash for d60's. Another option for the rear axle is a 14 bolt ff from a cab chassis truck (something ordered w/o a bed like a motor home, flat bed, tow truck, ect.) they are 63" wide, super beefe and a rear disc conversion is really easy, they can also usually be had pretty cheep. Do it once and do it right.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode