Changing outer seal on D44 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Changing outer seal on D44

Not quite to this point yet, but I was thinkin' ahead tonight and I'm puzzled on this one. The outer seals aren't leaking, but it's a '75 model rear end with 85K miles, so I figured I'd better change them. I guess the "ring" below the bearing comes off, But how the heck do you get it off? Doesn't look like I could get it in a press, and the trusty BFH and two jaw puller I've been using on bearings won't work here either.
I know it's probably simple, but my brain's not up to full capacity after working on this thing all night for two nights.
And I know if I don't change that thing it'll start leaking after 10 miles and I'll have to take the whole thing apart again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Changing outer seal on D44

I paid a healthy little fee to have new seals and bearings put on my axleshafts. I assume they used a press of sorts. I've heard of somehow splitting that ring. Possibly with a grinder and a chisel. Not sure. Hope to hear how it's done, since it'd be useful to know if I ever need to change mine. And since the jackoffs that did my rearend setup also did my axleshaft seals and bearings, i'm probably screwed. Reason being is my pinion seal is leaking after 20 miles. Pretty sad. And they're probably gonna say my yoke was bad and I need a new one. Anyone think that's something you can usually tell? Like maybe it's grooved or something.

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drill a 1/4" hole most of the way through the ring without damaging the axle shaft, and then split the ring with a chisel.
Then you have to press the bearing off.
You can't press the ring off, and if you did you can't reuse it because it isn't safe!
Now, here's the rub, you cant buy the rings separately, at least I've never found a source for them. I've only found the rings in a bearing kit, which should have the seals with them.
Also, make sure the retaining plate is close to being flat, if not it wont hold the seal and bearing tight in the housing.

Although it's for a D60 the procedure is documented on page 25 of the Dana 60 service manual shown on the site below.
They use a special puller to get the bearing off and to reinstall the ring and bearing but most people use a press to reassemble things.
http://concrete.warzone.org/gallery/dana60manual
http://concrete.warzone.org/gallery/...ual/aay?full=1

BTW, the axle with the seal and bearing should come out through the hole in the brake backing plate.
With the backing plate out of the way, push the seal away from the bearing and then you can get the press or the puller in behind the bearing. You still have to cut off the ring.

It's a fair amount of work, if the seal isn't leaking you might take a chance and leave it alone. If the bearings are marginal then bit the bullet and change it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

It's a fair amount of work, if the seal isn't leaking you might take a chance and leave it alone. If the bearings are marginal then bit the bullet and change it.

<hr></blockquote>

What's end play supposed to be on a 44? I'm pretty sure the bearing are good, but I'll measure end play and such if someone knows the specs.
On the seals, I'm actually a little more concerned about water going in than stuff coming out. This axle has an inner seal also, and the bearings get packed with grease, so there's no oil out there.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 09:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you should be able to get the backing plate off.. then take it to a good autoshop.. and they will press that retaining collar and bearing off.. and you will have to have a new set to be pressed back on... i would get the new set first.. take it all in have someone do it.. it should cost that much.. all they are doing is pressing old ones off.. new ones on... you can do the rest.. i had a shop do mine once when i was stuck in the middle of know where's.. and they only charged my $20 for it.. and heck it was a gas station to boot..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure what the end play spec is on a flanged D44. None of the manuals I have give a spec for those axles. I've only seen spec's for tapered axle D44's and AMC20's. Both of those I believe are spec'ed at 0.004-0.008.
With the flanged axles if you can measure anything more then a few thousands the problem is usually with the retaining plate being bent into a dish shape and it's no longer holding the seal tight against the bearing and the bearing is sliding in the housing.
My earlier reference to checking the bearing was to check it by inspection. You will usually see pitting and discoloration of the rollers and race long before you will be able to measure any change in endplay.

On other thing about the retaining ring, every service manual I've seen says to split the ring and then press the bearing off. I suspect there is some concerns that pressing the ring off will scrape some of the metal off the axle shaft. I know people do it but it isn't that difficult to split the ring first. Besides, you can't reuse the ring anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode