Anyone got Tomken swing out/bumper/jack & gas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone got Tomken swing out/bumper/jack & gas

I'm interested in the Tomken swing out carrier w/ gas tank and jack carrier. My ony questions are is it a good product, does anyone have any rants about it. If i'm going to shell out the money I want to make sure its good. And also does anyone have any pictures of it, i've seen some pictures that seem like it sticks out 5 feet and some seem like it doesnt stick out far at all. I just want to know if anyone has any more information on it. Thanks.

94 YJ. 33" General MTs 4" Pro Comp lift. Detroit in rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 11:33 PM

Re: Anyone got Tomken swing out/bumper/jack & gas

They are mediocre at best. The latch mechanism is just a big star nut, onto a threaded shaft, the swing away needs to be lifted up, and aligned every time you close it up. The hinge for the swing away would be an embarrassment for a 1st time bumper builder. It is a bolt going through a poly bushing, it has way too much slop the 1st day you install it, and gets worse everytime you swing it open.
The powder coat is a farce, its just thick black paint.
I hacked mine up into usable pieces, to use on other fabrication projects, within a month after I bought it.

Other than that its a fine product.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

haha, now tell us how you REALLY feel ; )

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:09 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Are you handy with a welder and grinder ? You can pay for a Hobart 175 and then some with the coin you save by making it yourself . I just finished my front bumper and I would choose it over any aftermarket product available . I`ve seen comparable at over $ 300.00 . I have just under $ 50.00 into it . I`m just about finished my rear and you know what they are worth . Get crackin [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. There is tons of help on this board when you ask . There should be a ton of info. when you search `homemade bumper`. Good Luck!

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can weld and wanted to make my own product similar to the tomken. I just have nothing to go by. I'm not very good at designing things that I havn't seen. (I guess thats why I'm an economics major and not an engineer haha). But if I had plans or somthing to look at, i would make it myself. Does anyone know of someone who has plans on how to make a swing out w/ the jerry and jack holder?

94 YJ. 33" General MTs 4" Pro Comp lift. Detroit in rear
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

What type of welder is the Hobart 175? Work well for bumpers, cages, other junk?

http://www.webphotos.com/list_albums...2&u=1000020268
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 07:29 AM

Well, id say search on the internet for tire carriers and look at other peoples to get an idea. For mine im copying Bluesman2a's design. It has 3 vertical 2x2 bars that come up off of one horizontal bar. I like this design because it is extremely easy to expand on. There is going to be a gas can, hi lift, ax, shovel, and of course the tire on it
Hinge is going to be an axle stub from northern tool, and latch, right now i am thinking of using like a threaded pull pin to latch it, seems to keep rattling down a lot. Im actually planning on starting it in the next week and a half after i finish my side steps. And this weekend my cage is getting done. Peace, good luck
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 08:16 AM
Veteran

This product sucks! I have one, I bought when I went to 4wd Hardware one day, they had it in their *scratch and dent* section. The quality is crappy, the design is poor. The tire sticks out far, and it wobbles very badly.

I puchased a 4wd Hardware tire carrier for my Jeep. It is about 500X better - yeah, I know we could probably design & build one ourselves - but, this 4wd Hardware one has bearings in the swing out mechanism, with a grease fitting, it also has a spring stop to click it into place when it is open. The latch to close it is very sturdy. It has a tab on the top of it for an CB antenna. It is also powercoated in either textured black or gloss black. It doesn't have the provision for the jerry can & jack, but this is where you can get creative.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:56 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jamgood96
The Hobart 175 is a great little machine . Made by Miller . Check it out
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler175.html

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't buy anything from Tomken...ever! The owner is a jerk, and the quality of their merchandise is questionable. Make your own or buy another brand.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode