Clock Spring 2000 Jeep Cherokee - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Mid-Sized All discussion of mid-sized Jeeps: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Clock Spring 2000 Jeep Cherokee

I think my clock spring went out to lunch today. Aidrag light came on, also my cruise control will no longer turn on and the horn doesn't work. Am I right in thinking it is the clock spring? Is it a dealer only part? Is this a do it yourself project or is this something that should be handled by the dealer? From what I see in the service manual it looks to be quite involved. Any idea of costs? Is there something I should check before sending it off to a dealer? I don't want to make things worse than they are.

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Novice

Right on the money

You are absolutily right on the clock spring. To tell you the truth it is not too involved or complicated for someone who is mechanically able. First disconect your battery (you will be takeing off the air bag) next remove the air bag, I think there are 2 or 3 small bolts that hold it on from the back side. Roll it back towards you and disconnect all of the connectors. Lay the air bag assembly outside the vehichel face up, never face down. Next is the steering wheel, it is tapered master splined. If you have a puller that is recomended, but if you don't have you will need help. Put the nut back on finger tight and while pulling back toward you while sitting in the drivers seat have someone eles hit the nut with a hammer. A couple solid hits it will pop. With the steering wheel removed take off the column trim covers (top and bottom). Now you can unplug and remove the clockspring. It is attached with small torx screws, cant remember what size t10 t15? Toss the junk part. Your new clockspring will have tape over the center hole, just install on the column the center shaft will pop the tape. The tape keeps it centered while shipping. Toss the tape after installed. Installation is in reverse order, mind the master-splined steeringwheel it must only go on one way, make the steering wheel nut tight about 100ft-lb. After all put back together hook up your battery and your good to go. If this is something you still think you can handle and feel comfortable with it go for it it will save you about an hour of $100/hr dealer labor rate. (give or take) If not it is a while you wait job at the dealer, or should be. Good luck I hope I was helpfull. The part will run you about $100-$160.

Last edited by Uncl-N8; 01-04-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Cost of part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode