Lifted Libertys - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lifted Libertys

Saw a post on another BBS where a KJ owner had lifted his 2.5" using the rocky road kit and was getting ready to order one for myself. Then I hear rumors from rusty's about an upcoming 5.5" lift. Any CONSTRUCTIVE comments about lifting a KJ that high. Probably limiting responses by just asking for constructive comments but here goes anyway..

Keep the rubber side down
previous jeps: 48 willy's p/u restored
79 J-20 Lifted 4"
82 Cherokee Lifted 4"
2002 KJ soon to be lifted ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 04:29 PM
utahjeepr

Re: Lifted Libertys

Hmmm, I haven't really looked at a liberty front end but I imagine it is similar to other IFS systems. The biggest problem with lifting IFS rigs is the CV joints. The process of lifting the vehicle causes the CV joints to run at a more extreme angle. This in conjunction with the increased tire size places huge stresses on the CV joints, causing them to fail. Big lifts and big tires aren't really compatible with an IFS system. I know this doesn't sound very constructive but I'm trying to give my honest opinion here, not simply IFS bashing. I would stick with a milder lift and tire combo.

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 06:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="Comic Sans MS">As a fix for the weak CV's, you could **in theory** grab the CV assembly and housings off of a 1 ton GM truck, the hubs for that same truck, and have the axle shaft (part that connects the housing (spider in the housing) and CV assembly) cut down to the length you need. Now that would probably cost quite a bit but those 1 ton ones are a lot beefier than the KJ ones are...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 07:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Oops, I almost forgot that the other integral part of an IFS lift involves lowering the differential chunk down to lessen the angles the CV's have to run at. Or you could get some Porsche 932 (I think) CV's, those allegedly have the ability to handle lots of power and have a decent travel and can run at some odd angles... There's a ton of possibilities you have open to you, the only thing is, how much one would be willing to spend to do them...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 09:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I think it would be sweet. Trail ready is making a solid axle swap for kj's. Is this a street rig or will it see trails? If you are going to wheel it I'd wait for a soild axle swap or a 5" lift. If you wanted to i bet removing the plastic stuff and pulling out the sawzall would give you lots of room. Go for it and show us some pics when it's done.

Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input.I do use mine for trail use. Not extreme rock crawling but trails my old chevy p/u couldn't get around. I've decided to go with the 2.5" lift, 32" tires and probably pull the inner plastic fenderwells off if I can, to get some more clearance mostly for monetary reasons. Going with the 5.5" kit right now would probably entail 1500-2000 for the lift kit, regearing the diffs to 4.10 to compensate for the 35" tires I think I can stuff in there,longer brake lines etc.. probably close to $3000 or better when all is said and done.If I need to upgrade later I bet the 5.5" lift probably uses the coil spacers and I could still use those.I'll take the dig camera next time I go out stock and after the lift is on to take some comparison photos. Might take a good month or so to get the lift kit here and installed. I'll post pic's if I can figure out how to do so.

79 J-20 Lifted 4"
82 Cherokee Lifted 4"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the conversion to a sa sounds sweet to me

86 Commanche 3.4
A friend will help you move....
But a best friend will help you move a body...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What's the wheel base of a KJ?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 04:39 AM
Pooh-Bah

My wife and I are looking at the Liberty and if we do buy one I will proably go with the Old Man Emu lift. Sure its only a 2.5 lift but then again all their lifts are no more then 3 inches anyway. And we would be using it for nothing real heavy so that hieght is more then enough for our needs with that vehicle. We have another rig that is being used for wheeling.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Before you spend the money at OME (if you haven't allready) check out Rusty's Off Road. Their kit is the same as RR's and is $50 cheaper. Make sure you get longer travel shocks/struts . Rusty's has the rear shocks in stock and last time I checked the front struts were on back order

79 J-20 Lifted 4"
82 Cherokee Lifted 4"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode